Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Burglar Alarm Activation Triggers WEMO Maker Sensor

[ Edited ]

Burglar Alarm Activation Triggers WEMO Maker

Sensor Items Required:

WEMO Maker

DSC RM-1 (12v DC End of Line Relay) Online Purchase (Amazon)

DSC RM-1.jpg

Low voltage wire (I used speaker wire)

Specific Alarm Panel Manual

From installing alarms I was aware that specific alarm panel contacts (Varies from Alarm Panel to Alarm Panel) are activated/closed during an alarm sequence. I thought it would be an added feature to the siren to have all the lights in the house come on during an alarm.

Most alarm panel contacts are 12v DC which is more than the WEMO Maker can handle so I needed a relay to close the sensor contacts on the WEMO Maker. I found an alarm specific relay (DSC RM-1) that connects to the alarm panel contacts (positive and negative) that is activated during an alarm.

Alarm Panel Connections.jpg

When there is an alarm, power is applied to the DSC RM-1 and the contacts on the WEMO Maker are triggered. On my arrangement I have all lights in the house come on.

Re: Burglar Alarm Activation Triggers WEMO Maker Sensor

This is very cool. Is there any way you can guide me through set up if I send you a picture of alarm panel?
WEMO Maker Inventor

[ Edited ]

This idea is a winner. Good job. You could also set it up to notify you.

[ Edited ]

quick question..

do you need a power converter 12v dc to 5v dc?  Or can the relay wires be connected directly to the wemo maker sensor contacts?  please please help.

WEMO Maker Inventor

No you will blow the sensor if you connect it to a 12V alarm output.

From his description he drives a 12V relay with the output from the alarm.  Then you'd usually feed the maker ground through the relay contacts to the maker S..  A 12v alarm signal will activate (close) the relay, grounding the maker S and the maker will report a "triggered" condition. 

thank you....I hope I can get this to work.

Hi Mike, sorry to bother you, but just want to make sure I understand.  Relay has 5 wires.  Red and Black would be connected to alarm panel.  As I understand now, green wire would be connected to relay contact on the maker, and would then run a wire from  the other contact to the S contact on the sensor side of the maker?  The white wire would go to the + contact on sensors side of maker?  Any chance you can post a schematic or photo?  Thanks.  Really appreciate it.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Colors aren't that much help, you need to know what the marking is on the relay which should show how it works.  Try searching for your relay part number on google, you'll likely find a pin out picture and even application drawings.

Assuming you've got a 12v relay, typically you'd power the relay (red/black) from the alarm board +12V and GND.

The relay will have a switching wire to charge/release the relay, that would go to alarm out.

The relay itself is a little switch - one side of the switch goes to Maker "-".  The other side goes to Maker "S".

Nothing goes to Maker "+".

Thank much! I looked for info on the relay which is the DSC RM-1 mentioned on original post but couldn't find anything. But this helps a lot. Thanks again.