How Did You WEMO That? (Read-Only)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Homemade Door and Window sensor (R.I.P. the official :(

[ Edited ]

Hey, because of the missing door and window sensors that we were supposed to get some time ago, i decided not to dwell on it too much and see if i could make one of my own, i see that belkin had the idea so now im going to show you guys how we can make an alternative until belkin releases the official one (if they plan to)(we love you belkin <3), for this all you will need is

• a belkin wemo motion sensor or wemo maker (a wemo maker is optimal but i dontg have one so...)
  • a belkin wemo light switch or belkin wemo led(s) (or which ever wemo u want to use)(i used 2 led bulbs)
  • a NO door and window sensor(NO means normally opened)
  • wire(i used 2 diff colours to reduce the confusion)(as in the wires used to connect the door and window sensor to the motion sensor)
  • an aux cable (you will have to safrifice this)
  • aligator clips(optional)(if you dont want to sacrifice the auxillary cable)
  • Tape
  • Marker(optional)
  • Patience to deal with people who dont read signs(REQUIRED)

so after i gathered all those stuff i went to work and now ill show you what i did

1. cut the auxillary cable to be able to connect it to the wires(or use aligator clips in the end that was supposed to be cut)
  2. remove the motion detecting part of the belkin wemo motion sensor (its removable)IMG_0763.JPG
  3. plug the uncut side of the aux cord (the part that still looks like a headphone cord) into the belkin wemo motion sensor
  4. join the cut side of the aux cord to the wires (even thou the aux cord may have three, only use two of the wires from inside it (check to see which work)
  5. connect the other end of the wires to the door and window sensorIMG_0753.JPG
  6. attach the door and window sensor to the door and doorjam/wall
  7. for presentation purposes use the tape to tape down the wires to the wall/doorjamIMG_0760.JPG
  8. install the wemo leds or the wemo light switch or insight switch or which ever device that you are going to use
  9. leave a friendly reminder to leave the switch alone if its the wemo leds or if you have a similar set up for other wemo devicesIMG_0759.JPG
  10. plug in the motion sensor and start making motion rules to control the devices whenever the door is opened and until it is closed(remember that since its a NO sensor it will be sensinsing until the door is closedIMG_0762.JPG
  11. enjoy the view of your lights that turn themselves on and offIMG_0758.JPG

P.S.- if you are using a wemo maker instead of a wemo motion sensor you simply attatch the wires from the door and window sensor to the makers sensor relay and you will not need the aux cable.

P.S.S.- Because it is a door and wndow sensor, once the door is open the app will regard the sensor as sensing motion until it is closed, therefore, if you want to make it so that the device is only triggered once the door is open, then you set the time out to one minute, so that the devices will become untriggered after the minute after the door closes( i say a minute instead of immediately because i find that in this setup immediately doesnt work properly and the devices flicker instead and etc)IMG_0764 (1).PNG

i hope you guys understand what i explained and that it can be useful for you guys as well, if you have any questions feel free to ask them and i will answer them as soon as i have the time, here is a video (click the word video)demonstrating it in action

Re: Homemade Door and Window sensor (R.I.P. the official :(

there are many different things that you can use this for, the only limit is your imagination

This is a clever hack! What other hardware could you use?

WEMO Maker Inventor

[ Edited ]

For about $6 a reed switch can be adapted to wifi and used to trigger WeMos with AutomationManager: ESP-01 wifi reed switch.  Handy for a DIY alarm system as well.  No WeMo needs to die Smiley Happy.

Hey Mike, are you able to point out where to get the ESP-01, reed switch, and motion sensor that will work with AM? I'm liking this set up, where I can plugin the USB adapter somewhere in the house and it'll communicate wirelessly with AM.
WEMO Maker Inventor

Sure - I usually grab this kind of thing from ebay: ESP-01 and ESP-01 USB Adapter

Any alarm system reed switch works, I think they're about $5 from home depot, less from ebay: windows or doors

I haven't tried a PIR myself, but this is the kind I'm looking at using: PIR

Ebay is a good source for USB blocks, but be careful with them if they're sourced from outside of NA/Europe/Aus if they're usually not certified.

My DSC alarm system has a LAN board (an envisalink) so I use it's door and motion sensors to trigger AutomationManager - handy since they're already wired and running for me.

If you have a look in the ESP8266 section on my site you'll see a few other manufactures of ESP8266 boards - I've already integrated the ITEAD relay board (SONOFF) and the temperature/humidity boards - at that price point they're making it reasonable to automation anything.

hey Newtown,

sorry that i was unable to answer you earlier i was at work, i see that mike answered you for me but im not sure if the answer you got is what you wanted(there is nothing wrong with mikes solution, its just that after a busy day at work my brain doesnt really pay much attention to detail) so ill just give my answer to what i interpret your question as

so when you say hardware im assuming you mean things that can be triggered

if so then you can use any thing that is wemo compatible, watch the video that i posted, here is the link in a more linky looking form so that it wont be passed by in case you want to see it

link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvuJsOLtrN0

but anyways, once it can be plugged into a wemo device then you can use it, whether it be the wemo light switch or insight switch or wemo maker or etc, and if you use ifttt the possibilities are even greater, you would be able to do so much more

but here is a list of things that you can connect to your wemos(im not saying tht in this application they would be suitable im just tossing around ideas)

1. fan
  2. light
  3. christmas tree lights
  4. television
  5. air conditioner
  6. space heater
  7. humidifier
  8. fancy air condiitioner over doors (you know those types tht blast you with cool air when you walk through the door)
  9. massage chair
  10. christmas decorations

litterally almost anything that you have, so the possibilities are honestly endless as to what you can do, the only limiting factor is your imagination, everything else is there

jansmithy, thank you for elaborating further. In hindsight, I should've defined hardware better. I was thinking of alternatives to the window/door sensor type of hardware that can be plugged into the WeMo switch. Mike has kindly added more, which has inspired me even more. Thanks to you both! 

great, im glad that we both could help you, live, laugh,.........AND INVENT!

Just following... Thanks