How Did You WEMO That? (Read-Only)

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

The Power of Geo-Fencing (and wifi and ifttt)

As a busy member of a family of four we have a lot of daily duties to be done whether it be at work or at home and in doing them we often forget to turn off the lights and electronics when we leave home. To prevent the waste of electricity along with have the simple convenience to leave to the house with the lights and electronics turning themselves off after we leave, we have used the the service I.F.T.T.T.(If This Then That). I have the life 360 app installed on all my family members phones currently living with me and with the power of ifttt all the wemo devices in my house turn off after the last person leaves the house, and because the children love to leave their fans and lights on, when it detects that they are no longer at home (using the app on their phone that they never leave without) their lights and fan turn off but the lights in the general area stay on when the other family members are still in the house which is an added bonus so only specific lights turn off when specific people leave and all the lights turn off when everyone leaves which I think is pretty cool. Another cool feature about geo-fencing is that it can also turn the devices on when someone reaches home. So I have another set of rules set up on ifttt so that when the first family member arrives home the lights in the general area turn on and since we don’t reach home until the night time we do not have to worry about the lights turning on in the day which is a nice feature especially when your hands are full and you don’t want to fumble around in the dark. As a backup incase something goes wrong I have additional rules which uses wifi and when a specific device disconnects from the wifi, specific wemos turn off. Below I have screenshots of the rules that I have created.

PLEAS NOTE: for the privacy of my family I have used the wemos without anyones name and a generic wifi name.

Screenshot_2015-07-20-13-36-42.png

the above recipe runs when the last member of my family leaves home one of the lights in the general area turns off.

Screenshot_2015-07-20-13-37-23.png

the above recipe turns on one of the lights in the general area when the first person comes home

Screenshot_2015-07-20-13-36-15.png

the above recipe runs when i leave home and turns off the fan in my room (if i hadnt already but i ususally do)(for the privacy of my children this and the next two recipes use no personal information other words i used myself and myself because in the recipe it shows you and my)

Screenshot_2015-07-20-13-40-50.png

this is one of the back up recipes that i was referring to so if the above recipe doesnt work this one will kick in (when my phone disconnects from the wifi it turns off my fan)(this recipe and the one below say created 0 mins ago and run 0 times because i had to recreate them using my information because the ones i had from before were with my children's information so i had to make these without any personal information)

Screenshot_2015-07-20-13-51-00.png

this is another recipe that i have to turn on my fan when i connect to my homes wifi network (i have one for the life 360 but i didnt want to have screenshots of all my recipes because that would make things alot longer)

as a reminder for those who didnt know i created all the recipes on I.F.T.T.T (if this then that)

this has helped me out alot with saving electricity and having the convenience of stuff turning on and off with out anyone doing anything

and this is how i "How Did You WEMO That"

Re: The Power of Geo-Fencing (and wifi and ifttt)

I love this idea. I've been using geofencing for individually named items, but love the "when the last member of the family leaves" option. If I can get the rest of my family to use Life360, I'm going to use your recipes for sure! Thank you Smiley Happy

no problem, your welcome and im glad that you like it. hopefully all goes well and according to plan and your lights and electronics turn on and off when you leave and when you go 

P.S. - If you own any indoor pets they may get frightened when they are watching television and when u leave it turns off (especially because they are going to miss their show, LOL)

Very nice recipes.

However, I have a question as I'm trying to do something very similar.

With your recipe of turning on the lights when the first family member arrives home, how do you make sure that the lights don't turn on during the day? I'm assuming most people come home after work/school so it's probably late in the day or dark but that doesn't mean everyone always comes home in the dark.

I tried to look for a way to only trigger these recipes of turning Wemo lights on or off only during certain hours (let's say after 6PM for turning on and before 6PM for turning off for example), but I haven't found a way to do it.

Anyone else using IFTTT to automate Wemo lights/switches found a way?

Thanks.

hey next_milenium,

im really sorry but right now i have no ideas as to how to help Cat Sad but, ill do some research and if i find anything ill let you know

You may have to add a rule of "between sunset and sunrise" to lights. I heard somewhere of using a google spreadsheet as a way to create a second If statement or an And statement. Of course the tv would not be subject to sunset/sunrise.
WEMO Maker Inventor

next_milenium wrote:

I tried to look for a way to only trigger these recipes of turning Wemo lights on or off only during certain hours (let's say after 6PM for turning on and before 6PM for turning off for example), but I haven't found a way to do it.

Anyone else using IFTTT to automate Wemo lights/switches found a way?

Thanks.

It's possible to drive AutomationManager from IFTTT which makes this automation trivial.  Not only can you turn on the lights when someone comes home afer sunset, you can turn them on at sunset if that someone is already home.