WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

2 WeMo devices won't connect to Google Wifi router

I just bought both a WeMo in wall switch and a WeMo mini plug in switch. I went through the set up process on both devices and get the same response through the WeMo app, "The WeMo App was unable to connect to '(my SSID)' Please try re-entering your password."

Please help.

Expert

Re: 2 WeMo devices won't connect to Google Wifi router

@JeffB

Set the wireless security on your router to WPA2 Personal. Reset the WEMO Mini Switch to factory defaults then configure it again. Whenever the same error message will appear when connecting to the network,  kindly forget the network, reboot the router then connect again. 

Chiqui-17359

WEMO Technical Support

there is not an option to change the setting on the Google Wifi

Expert

@bgbg31,

In such cases, you may want to contact your router's manufacturer. In that way, they can better assist you in tweaking some settings on your router. Are you having the same set of challenges as @JeffB?

Chris-21499
WEMO Technical Support

Had the same thing with a dimmer and a outlet. Try removing all extenders from the google wifi network (only leave the main router on). It should connect to that. Once all your WeMo devices are connected turn back on your other nodes of your mesh.

When I say remove I mean unplug.

I also just purchased a Google Wifi router and had problems connecting my WEMO devices. 

I figured keeping the name/SSID and password of my previous network (on an Apple Airport Express) would have solved the problem, but nothing recognized it, so I reset the devices and started from scratch.

I got the WEMO lights and switches to connect, but my Netcams refused to even see my network. Here is what worked for me. Set your network name to something without spaces and a lowercase first letter. for example "wifinetwork". Everything connected without issue at this point.

The frustrating part is if you already have all of your devices on your previously named network, you are going to have to go back and re-connect them to your "new" network. A bit frustrating. An alternative workaround is that you could set up a guest network in the Google Wifi app and do the naming convention above. I did this at first as a test. However, the downside seemed to be that because those Netcams were not on the same network at the WEMO devices, they weren't seen in my WEMO app, and thus could not be used for motion detection triggers, which I use.

Hope that works for you!

I can get my light switches and even my my wemo light bulbs (through the wemo link) through the setup process, but then they say "not detected" regardless if they are on or off. I thought I was buying best of bread with all my wemo devices, but they are worthless if they can't keep up (updates) with newer technology (google wifi mesh router).

okay so it has to do with the router determining what band the device connects to based on distance from the router. since it does it automaticlaly with the google wifi. I got around this by creating a guest  network on the google app then allowing the wemo switch to connect to it and it worked first try. the wemo switch will only connect to the 2.4 band not the 5.0 band.  

Hi, degroda. You may refer to this link for effective workarounds: http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=7960 Hope that helps.

Kloe-21503
WEMO Technical Support