WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

AM Service on multiple devices?

I currently have one android tablet that is my AM server, running an AM Manager widget. I also have AM Manager installed on my android phone and a 2nd general use android tablet. I recently noticed that both the phone and 2nd tablet now have an AM Service showing in the notification pull down. I suspect a recent update on AM Manager is the reason. Do I really need this service running on multiple devices?

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: AM Service on multiple devices?

It seems google has had some problems with background apps behaving poorly and effective Nov 1 force any app with a background service to show a foreground notification so that you can spot them.  AutomationManager, WemoHome, and the AM server apps have been updated to respect this requirement.

AM Manager (and WemoHome) has always run a background service if there were any AM widgets on your home screen.  It's listening for changes reported by the wemos (and the other device types it supports) so that it can update state. 

You may have noticed on your battery consumption screen it consumes very little battery power even when running, and if you've configured it (in preferences) to only monitor device state when on your home SSIDs it'll shut down when you leave home (which you should do if you're running it on your carry phone).

All instances of AM run independently, so yes, each device running it will have it's own listener service in the background.

If you're running android 8 or later if you right swipe on the notication you'll see a settings button where android will let you choose to hide the notification permanently.  The older androids I've used so far unfortunately do not have this feature.

I understand the service is needed on the server tablet. But neither of the other two have a widget installed. I was asking why the service is shown on those two as it wouldn't seem to be needed. If it's always been there, even when no widgets are used, that's fine. Just curious about the change.

WEMO Maker Inventor

I'm glad you asked that, that's a bug!

Once you start the app the service will keep going until wifi or ac power is disconnected (depending on the preferences), but I'd added a "start on boot" that I now need to ignore if there are no widgets.

Thanks!  I'll have it fixed in the next version.

A Kudo to you Mike

For acknowledging that you have a bug (albeit very minor) and confirming that you'll fix it in the next update of AM.

If only Belkin would admit that they have bugs (most of which are whoppers) and that they will be fixed in the next update rather that chanting out the same old mantra of which we are all so familiar.

Regards

Pete

I've updated to version 16.1.9-367 and I'm still getting the AM notification on my Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy Tab S2, neither of which have a AM widget.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Oops, thanks, missed a case on startup where I was assuming the device was plugged in until proven otherwise.

If you disconnect from wifi (as in leave home) it'll shut down (assuming you've got "only on wifi" checked, and the next version will shut down when the device is unplugged if you've got "only when charging" checked.  I'll see if I can make stopping a little more aggressive but I'm a bit worried about it not running when the app is supposed to be active...

The notification does go away when wifi disconnects but it comes back once the wifi reconnects.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Right - when you reconnect to your home wifi the AM Service goes back to listening for wemo state changes.

Is there a way to add a check for the AM widget being present? Similar to the check for wifi or charging?