WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Manager

Re: Android L support

Hi Everyone,

There has not been a large amount of testing and development around Android 5.0 .  The OS was just released mainstream a few days ago and very few devices support it.  The current 1.9 App was not tested with Android 5.0 in mind so compatibility cannot be guaranteed.  

I talked with the software team today and we will be releasing a new App within the next few days but it had a code freeze for testing before the full Android 5.0 release so it is not developed for Android 5.0 at this time.

I'll keep you updated about the situation but we will have Android 5.0 support within the next couple of App releases.

Regards,

Robert S.

Belkin Technical Support

I got it to install. Well kind of. Had to manually do it. I downloaded the wemo.apk from an apk grabber site first. Then I created a folder at /data/app named com.belkin.wemoandroid and set the permissions to 0755 which is rwxr-xr-r then copied the wemo apk into this folder and set the permissions of the apk to 0644 which is rw-r--r-- and rebooted. The wemo app was now in the app drawer. When launching it did not connect to my wemo devices though, and was starting fresh. Rather than reset all my devices and reconnect, I was able to restore my data only with titanium backup. Seems to be working fine so far, so seems it is just an issue installing. A Google error report shows it's an issue with permissions of the app. Should honestly be a quick easy fix, but we all know android isn't important enough for them to devout time to it. Maybe I should buy an iPhone?

[ Edited ]

I recognize that this is just "wrong time, wrong place" but I am on the latest stable release of android. I mention that only to reiterate the fact that Belkin has had quite a bit of time to (at the very least) smoke test their app against the beta of Lollipop. I only have an android phone on 5.0, the latest stable release (I don't really feel its worth spooling up a new genymotion device just for this), and bought 5 new Wemo Switches/Outlets. I can't use them with my phone, I can't use them with IFTTT (as ifttt requires you to get the pin from the app), I can't use them for anything.

I sure hope you update the app soon, as this certainly hasn't set me down the path with Wemo with a smile on my face.

EDIT: I could do what the post above discusses, it wouldn't take more than 10 or 15 minutes to do so. I do think it's rediculous that any of your customers should even consider that an option though.

Sidenote, you really should remove all the product from this page that require registration via the app. If you don't support the latest stable release, then no, your devices are NOT compatable. Saying that they are is wildly misleading if not false advertising http://i.imgur.com/HVTV8fb.png

2nd sidenote, this also appears to be true with your packaging, which doesn't just specify a device like your website, but specifically calls out that the software I'm currently running shouldn't just work, but is a REQUIREMENT. http://i.imgur.com/Y2fDKAa.png

Michael, if I were you, I would just return the Wemo products. I would do it myself but I bought my a while ago so I can't return them. Their "timely" response with the copped out excuse just shows that they care very little about the Android eco system. I agree they should have been updating this stuff since the previews for Android L in July. I love how they stated that it wasn't a priority since there were very few devices using it. I guess the device list of Nexus 4, 5, 7, 9, Moto X, Moto G, LG G3 was just not a list long enough for them or the fact that wemo owners like me have been asking about it for over a month ago was not enough for them to care about. The lame excuse post stated an update will be out in days, well it's been 8 days since and still no update. Bottom line is that if you want real support from them, your only option is to switch over to the iphone.

DomSim, it's an inventive solution to a problem that should not have even happened since Belkin should have solved it long ago. This is a consumer product and Belkin should have gotten this taken care of. I could understand the delay if this was a beta or kickstarter project but this is not. If they don't want to support Android, then they should not have stated android support in their product packaging because I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. The excuse that they need to test it for Android L is just a joke since other wemo developers have their apps running on Android L already. 

Hey Belkin, I would be glad to shut up and not post on this board again if you would do the following. Send me a check for $262.76 (4x switches @ 59.99[prices I paid]plus taxes 9.5%) and a prepaid shipping box so I can pull out all four switches and send it back to you. I'm not really interested in useless overpriced switches in my house.

[ Edited ]

You guys (Belkin) desperately need to update your app for Android 5.0. Sorry - no excuses here. Android L developer preview has been out for months now. There's plenty of other apps that install and work just fine on Android 5.0 so what's your excuse? Sadly, we all know your excuse is that iOS users matter more than Android users. Thanks to DomSim for an excellent workaround for the installation problem! But most "regular" users won't know how to do this, nor should they have to to begin with.

As a developer of a product that relies heavily on software (i.e. apps), it is your responsibility to ensure your apps are updated in a timely manner for any and all platforms you advertise to be compliment with. This is exactly why Google, and yes, Apple, release beta versions to developers months ahead of a general release.

You've no excuses and to blame availibility of devices running Android 5.0 is incredibly shameful. 

I've reported this to Belkin via Twitter and their support email for weeks.  I provided adb logcat output numerous times through various scenarios.  Their support seemed clueless up until a week ago.

Furthermore as an app developer, I ran into similar issues with our apps.  We were able to repair each app in about 10 minutes, ignoring the compiler time to package the apk properly since that's automated.  We knew of the impending issues because one of us had Android L preview running on a Nexus 5.

Lastly, the list of unsupported phones grows larger every day.   Manufacturers, both mainstream and smaller, continue to announce  and push Android Lollipop to their devices.  Unofficial firmware continues to come out for unsupported, old devices.  There is no excuse to not have used the latest APIs and guidance from Google which has been around since L Preview dropped.  

Belkin dropped the ball big time...with an OS that has a majority of the marketshare worldwide.

[ Edited ]

Remember everyone to write a review on Google Play about how much Belkin doesn't care about Android users so other Android users can avoid these devices. Help out your fellow Android users to spend their money on products and companies that support the Android users.

@Robert_S wrote:

Hi Everyone,

There has not been a large amount of testing and development around Android 5.0 .  The OS was just released mainstream a few days ago and very few devices support it.  The current 1.9 App was not tested with Android 5.0 in mind so compatibility cannot be guaranteed.  

I talked with the software team today and we will be releasing a new App within the next few days but it had a code freeze for testing before the full Android 5.0 release so it is not developed for Android 5.0 at this time.

I'll keep you updated about the situation but we will have Android 5.0 support within the next couple of App releases.

Regards,

Robert S.

Belkin Technical Support

I got a Wemo light switch a couple of days ago and was just trying to download the app a few minutes ago only to find out it won't install. I'm sorry but Belkin has no excuse what so ever for this app not to support Android 5.0. The people who spend $50 on a light switch are the type of people who have high end phones which will be getting Android 5.0 soon or already have it. I am an Android developer myself and have been using the Android L preview since June 2014. That was months ago and currently this is the only app which I use/want to use that is having any issues with Android 5.0. 

Reading that the latest release of this app was not tested with Android 5.0 speaks volumes of either the team in charge of this app or of how much Belkin cares about the Wemo lineup. It's incredibly disappointing.

On top of this on the box it says Android 4.0 and above. How can Belkin as a company make a claim like this and then ignore developer previews, ignore that the latest version of Android is publicly available, and not even bother testing it on the latest version of Android. Not only this but now you are saying that Android 5.0 will receive support in the next couple of app releases? Are you serious? That's not good enough. This isn't some no name cheap light switch. This is a $50 light switch that when installed will function as a basic $5 light switch because Belkin can't make sure their app is compatible with the latest version of Android. 

I look forward to how Belkin plans to make things right with customers like me who have now purchased their product and can't use it. If they don't plan on releasing an update within the next week they may as well tell me to return the light switch and go to a different brand. So please keep us updated. 

Some basic things that could make this situation better: 
- ETA (so I know if I should move on to a different brand)

- Beta release of software (this would be the fastest and best thing Belkin could do)

- Is development for this app outsourced? If yes maybe it's time to reconsider this decision

- Doing something for the customer when Belkin completely screwed up

- Keeping us updated daily. Yes daily. With updates on what to expect and when. It’s been 10 days since we received a response in this thread.

You said the app will be released in the 'next few days' almost two weeks ago - and supposedly you are in a code freeze for testing. So, basically, your developers haven't done anything for two weeks? I hope you do some major restructuring in your department because there is clearly institutional incompetence.

@Robert_S wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Regards,

Robert S.

Belkin Technical Support