WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Re: Automation Manager AKA WemoManager / Great product! - Multiple Location Wemo control

OK, couple of newbie questions.

If I want to control wemo devices (1x switch + several LED bulbs), can I use Google assistant/OK Google, or Automation manager..., with or without the Wemo app..?

Still trying to get the ondrive stuff working, too...

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: Automation Manager AKA WemoManager / Great product! - Multiple Location Wemo control

If I understand the question, once you get the WemoServer and WemoOnDrive working as a hub/server you can use Google Home or Google Assistant on your phone to control the switch and bulbs.  You don't need the belkin app running on the the WemoServer phone, it's only needed occasionally to add a new wemo or to upgrade the wemo firmware.

Let me know where you're stuck with WemoOnDrive - which step, what error/behavior, etc - I can usually figure it out.  The log is very useful too.

[ Edited ]

So I just found out about this alternate wemo universe and I must say it sounds very promising.  I plan to venture into it this weekend.  Mike, I must say your site impresses me.  It's very well thought out and I like the reasons behind your design.  The IOT is a bit scary, I agree.  I work in the IT industry and feel I have mostly protected myself (as much as one really can do anyways), but it does make me nervous allowing so many companies access to everything willingly.  I've come to accept it all and just kinda go with it, but I think your product is the right direction to go so I plan to start playing with it.  The Wemo app sucks, so it should be rather easy to impress me.

You made a comment on your site about opening up port 22 and logging how many connections show up and this really got my attention.  I run an ISP and that really hit home for me.  In the past I've seen one of core routers log over 150,000 individual IP's within a 7 day period that attempted remote logins on that device.  It's currently sitting at 50,000.  I can pick any random IP and throw it into a web browser and 9 times out of 10 it's a camera dvr thats been hacked.

So anyways, just thought I'd share.  Can't wait to start.  I'd like to try and get the windows server version going since I have a 24/7 machine running all day anyways for Blue Iris.  Wish me luck!

WEMO Maker Inventor

Thanks!  Questions, comments, feedback, even criticism gratefully accepted Smiley Happy.

I know some admins in the cloud business who say that if a new VM is started with service using a default password it'll be compromised in less than an hour, often from hackers running on that same cloud.  And most commercial clouds have a free tier for hackers to use 24x7 without consequence.  What a world Smiley Sad.

So far I'm very impressed!  Windows server is up and all schedules saved easily and quickly.  Your app is actually more advanced than Belkins.  For example, I used to set the bathroom fans to 30 min timers which worked fine, but sometimes if one person followed another person into the shower the fan would already be running and would turn off midway through.  Now, I can set the bathroom fan to shut off 20 mins AFTER the bathroom light is shut off.  Very nice!

Couple question, 1 minor suggestion (unless I'm doing it wrong), I don't see a way to add an on and then an off in one rule.  For example, outside lights come on and sunset, but then I need a 2nd rule to turn them off at sunrise.  Would be nice to do that in 1 rule, but not a huge deal.  Unless I missed something?

The other question I have is this, we primarly use an Amazon Echo to turn the lights on and off outside of timers.  Is it possible to have her commuicate with the server or does that have to be cloud based?  Could I setup my router to forward a port to the server instead of the cloud maybe?

WEMO Maker Inventor

You can set a light on with a "restore after" delay - that's for an autooff situation and I don't have it triggered by sunrise/sunset.  

So right, the easiest is to have two separate rules - what I do is have lights come on at night at the appropriate time, then one rule to turn everything off at sunrise - that way if something odd happens (like a power hit turning on LEDs or an early morning snack) they're all turned off at dawn regardless.  One trick for organizing is to use the alphabetic sorting in the rule names - like "lights on" and "lights off", they'll stay together in the list.

It works fine to keep using alexa to control the lights by voice through belkin in addition to using the WemoServer - it'll see and react to wemo stat changes if you set up triggers for them.

If you run the WemoServer on android you'll find a button in the "Manage Devices" sub-app that'll let you publish all unsupported wemo types and your rule triggers to echo so you can trigger them locally (no cloud except for the voice parsing).  If you add WemoOnDrive to the WemoServer it enables cloud interactions with IFTTT, Stringify - anything that will work with Google Drive.

Shortly after posting I realized seperate rules is fine.  It's not like I'm editing these every day.  I figured out quickly the alphabetic view helps keep your sanity.  All in all this works great for me.  I also really like the delay feature.  This works great with sunrise lights.  Indoor lights shutting off at sunrise is too early, waiting another half hour or so really solves that problem.  

One last question, why arent you working for Belkin?  Smiley Happy

[ Edited ]

duplicate post

Is there HTTPS support in wemoremate, so that I can send https request, and proxy to http of server? 

[ Edited ]

another question, why there is no that menu by each device (which is in manager) in wemoremote or web page?