WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Backup Rules

Hi Guys

I'm a noobie with Wemo and just beginning to discover its benefits. I'm using it on an Android phone and wondered if there is any way to backup the rules I've created.

Thanks

Steve

UK

Re: Backup Rules

Hello, SteveP. Thank you for choosing Wemo as your home automation system. Currently, we don't have any way to back up the rules that you created, but you have nothing to worry because those rules are saved in the Belkin cloud. If the time comes that you will need to uninstall/reinstall the app, all the settings that you configured especially the rules will still be there.

Feel free to update this thread should you have further questions.

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

Cheers Denis

I hadn't realised it was cloud-based

Steve

[ Edited ]

Hi SteveP

Now that's one of life's little mysteries. I've always been led to believe that the rules are stored in the WeMos themselves.

http://community.wemo.com/t5/WEMO-Application/Where-are-my-rules-stored/m-p/30041#M12184

If they are indeed stored in the cloud then how do they manage to function with the WeMo app not running and remote access switched off and also with the router powered up but no internet connection?

I suppose that they might be stored in the cloud as well as in the WeMos but I'm not altogether happy with that.

Regards

Pete

If you use Automation Manager you can either utilize the versioning of Google Drive essentially for rules backups/restores or on-prem you could backup the rules to another Android device.

Hi Bilim

As you know I expect, I'm a great supporter of the amazing Automation Manager app from MikeP and I've been using it for a years. Both my 'phone and my tablet carry a backup of my rules.

I'm just astonished by the conflicting advice they dished out by the Belkin moderators sometimes.

Setting that aside though, can you shed any light as to where WeMo app users' rules are stored?

Regards

Pete

Belkin KB here

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=58080

How do Rules work with my Wemo devices?

Using your Wemo App, you can create Rules for any of your Wemo devices.  These Rules are stored on your Wemo device and a copy is kept in your Wemo App for your reference.  Anytime you bring a new Wemo device or install a new Wemo App on your network, the Rules will be copied over to that new Wemo device or Wemo App.

Your Wemo knows the Rules
All Rules are ran by the Wemo device itself not the Wemo App.  This allows your Wemo device to follow Rules without the Wemo App being ON, or even if your internet connection goes down.

One Rule to control them all
A single Rule can be created that controls multiple Wemo devices at the same time.  This means you can have a Rule to turn ON all of your Wemo Light Switches at a certain time you will set.

Multiple Rules on a single device
Each Wemo device can have multiple Rules set to control it.  An example would be one Rule to turn your lights ON in the morning and OFF when you leave for work, and another Rule to turn them ON again at sunset before you get home.

A Rule for every day of the week
Rules can also be set to run on different days of the week allowing you to have them run as often as you like.

So just to be clear ('cos I'm a nooby with Wemo), it saves the rules to the wemo device AND in my APP.

To confirm then: I don't need to worry about 'backing up' my rules on my Android phone because the device will always have them stored anyway???

Thanks all

Steve

While I can't say anything will happen 100%... I just tested with an IOS device since I don't have an available Android at the moment.

• Created rule on a device
• Deleted & Reinstalled App
• Rules still there

If you want to look into some pretty advanced rule sets really take a look at Automation Manager. I run 150 rules on one site.

Thanks Bilim

That's very informative. Thanks again for locating the link. So it seems that the Belkin cloud is not involved with storing rules after all, but WeMo app users will get them restored to a reinstall of the app from their WeMos.

A positive outcome for SteveP but dud information from the Belkin team.

Would any moderator care to comment on this please?

Regards

Pete