WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Backup Rules

If there is a third version in cloud.... I wonder if app replicates rule data from the app or if devices have that capability themselves?

One test would be:

• Create rule
• Delete App
• Unplug one of your Wemos
• Reinstall app and connect to your 2.4Ghz Wif for device connection
• Check rules list. If rule of unplugged device shows up it must have pulled down from cloud. If absent then entirely local.

I just tested this and powered off device rule existed even with device unplugged after a whole app reload.

Yep. That'd pin it down Bilim.

I'm inclined to leave that test to someone else though. With my setup working perfectly on Automation Manager I'm reluctant to fix something that's not broken!

My only use for the Belkin app is to log new WeMos onto my LAN.

Anyway SteveP, you're fairly safe in the knowledge that if you need to reinstall the Belkin WeMo app your rules will be restored just fine and there's no need to make a backup of them although for such a backup you'd need to be using a pencil and paper!

Regards

Pete

I seem to recall that all rules are stored in all the WeMos Bilim.

Even if the rule does not apply to them specifically. If so then we are still at a loss to know if they are in the cloud too as they will restore completely from any single WeMo.

Regards

Pete

Yeah...not sure on that.... it would seem to be a lot of overhead though for all the devices to be maintaining rules on everything..but you never know that might be the case.

Well Bilim,

I reckon MikeP would know. Perhaps he'll post when he's next online.

To reiterate though Steve, there's no need for a rules backup and you won't lose them if you reinstall the Belkin app. Sorry to hijack your thread a bit, but I hope you've found the diversion interesting!

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete and all for clarifying things for this mobile. Think we can consider this case closed now.

Yes Steve

I'm in the UK too so we're both on BST.  -Good night!

Regards

Pete

Highlighted

This doesn't answer the cloud question but interesting info that was published last year when exploit was published. Issue discussed was patched in latter 2016.

https://www.invincealabs.com/blog/2016/11/wemo-device-root/

Rules are created, modified, and deleted with an interface in the mobile app (Figure 1). Internal to the app the rules are stored in a SQLite database, and any changes made to the rules are just updates to the tables in this database. When the user is done editing the rules for a device, the SQLite database file is compressed and uploaded to the device. Upon receipt of the rules file the device uncompresses it and uses a set of SQL queries to pull rule information from the new database and update its in-memory rules.

WEMO Maker Inventor

From what I could see last time I looked that the entire rules db was sent to and later loaded from every available wemo as Peter mentioned.  Perhaps belkin has also decided to keep a copy in the app.  Hopefully 'cause the loading time and number of failures loading from the wemos seem to give many users fits.  First I've heard that they might keep a copy in the cloud as well.

To be honest I'm skeptical 'cause reconciling all of the copies can be tricky as soon as any copy was out of sync.  These designers weren't experienced enough to prevent sql injection (a pretty standard security hole) and reconciliation is an even bigger challenge.  And we know that team struggled with time and timezone problems as well so timestamps could be a problem if used to reconcile.  Maybe ok in minor conflicts but a catastrophic loss or multiple conflicts could be an issue.  

I suspect if you reset all the wemos and reinstall the app the rules will be gone, I don't believe they'll recover back from the cloud though I suppose anything is possible. Pen and paper backups might be wise...