WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Control things that aren't mine

I have a wemo mini smart plug, it was working great until this weekend. I changed out the router for an upgraded model which gives me faster speed and a better range in the house. I was able to set the plug back to factory settings and hooked up to the new network. However I now have a fairly large list of items a could control that are not mine. I only have the one plug and it controls the air conditioner in a bedroom. If I'm on my home network it only shows my one plug, however once i get to work and go to turn on the air conditioner remotely via the app, i now have the whole list of items that are not mine. (Yesterday I received a notification that the coffee was ready!) And the only way i found to get rid of them is to reset to factory defaults and set it up again only to have the whole list show again when I try to access it remotely. Any ideas why this is happening, and what i can do to solve it? I didn't have this issue until I changed the network.

Re: Control things that aren't mine

Hello! For further isolation, have you checked on another handheld device with an installed Wemo app if the devices still show up? Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app on the current device you're accessing the plug with. Make sure that the app is up to date as well. Get back to us if you still get the same results.

Harvey - 21598
WEMO Technical Support
WEMO

Hello -- I have sent you a Private Message regarding this issue. 

[ Edited ]

Hello BelkinMike

There have been lots of reports of unknown WeMos showing up in the app.

It's good that you've sent BlueElephant a private message.

Don't you think that you should post a public message too so that we can all find out if this very, very serious issue has been resolved and whether or not you have fixed it permanently?

Regards

Pete

I can't send what you asked for in the private message (which took me forever to find) because now everything that is showing on my list is not mine and mine doesn't seem to be listed. I will try uninstalling the app...again...but I'm not very hopeful this will ever get resolved. Which is a shame because I really need to have remote access to turn on the AC so my dog doesn't sweat all day. There are no other devices that the app can be installed on to try.
Expert

[ Edited ]

Hi, Bluelephant. Allow us to endorse you to our Escalation Engineers for further assistance. Email us at WemoCares@belkin.com your full name, community username, phone number, location, link to this community post, and the summary of challenges that you encountered with your Wemo devices. You will then be provided with advanced troubleshooting steps to address your concern. We're looking forward to hearing from you.

Chris-21499
WEMO Technical Support

I was finally able to get it to work properly. I had to uninstall the app, reset the plug to factory defaults, and I think this was the key that helped fix it. Name it something different. I couldn't use the same name over again.

I just installed a brand new Wemo switch. Everything went smoothly as long as I’m on my home network. As soon as I try to enable remote access it ends up adding a bunch of products that I do not own as well as 36 users that I do not recognize. There’s no way to get rid of them. What is going on?!?

@jorgeg Hi there! To sort this one out, you should enable the feature while you're still connected on the home network so you can control the unit via remote access service. Also, make sure to have the most updated version of the Wemo app. You may try to delete cache and cookies, force close the app, relaunch it and see how it goes. If still doing the same thing, try to uninstall-reinstall the app and do the set up one more time. 

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

LOL!  Where does the belkin app keep it's cookies?

All of these gyrations are either because someone repackaged a used wemo and sold it to you as new, or belkin still has that serious, known, but unacknowledged security exposure in their cloud and they're leaking personal information between users.