WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Deleted rule, but all the lights are still functioning the same

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I have deleted a rule that I was using while I was on vacation. However all the lights are still performing like they are on the rule. I also am receiving messages on my iPhone and iPads. Something along the lines of: The rule has been disabled since you manually turned off/on light "XXXX".

Any suggestions on how to fix this? I have three wemo light switchs in my house.

Re: Deleted rule, but all the lights are still functioning the same

It could be that a different phone/handheld device still has that Rule set on the WeMo app. Be sure to delete that particular Rule from the WeMo app in all your handheld devices.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Well, that's not true and pretty misleading.  Rules are kept in the wemo devices, not in the app and certainly not in each app separately. 

If the rule is still working then there's either a rule on some other wemo that's turning the light on or off, or the Belkin app is once again not properly pulling the rule databases from the wemo's.

If so, to fix this the only real solution is to reset all of the wemo's to clear their rules databases.  I'll leave that to you to explain piny since it's your job...

I was afraid of that. Just for clarification, the rule has been deleted from all the devices. All of them.

I am no noticing the rule for my front porch is not working properly either. So it looks like I will be doing a "reset" on all my switches. This is the second time this has happened and it is a pain. I can only imagine those that have more than say three feel and they have to reset all the devices.

Thanks for the help. Off to reset my switches!

I agree with MikeP. Rules are usually stored on the WeMo itself. Resetting the WeMo devices will help in resolving this. I would also suggest that you uinstall and reinstall the app. 

Update us with the results! Smiley Happy

I have a similar problem.

I created a rule last week and now this week it is gone from my list in the app.  However, the rule continues to function like normal.  The problem is that I want to edit/delete the rule, but I can't because it doesn't show up in the app.  I really don't want to reset all the devices because I have about 10 other rules created and they were a pain to set up.

Hi Whitenack. You probably have to try re-installing the App or install the App to another handheld device if you have one. You can put reset as the last resort in case the situation persists. I hope this helps.

Reinstalling the App will almost certainly not resolve your problem - I am currently using three iOS devices controlling WeMos on the same network. One shows the original rules and the second two show nothing. The minimum you can expect to do is a "Reset Name, Rules & Data" on the device running the rule (you will not need to set it up again, just rewrite rules etc.) rather than resetting any or all devices.
Community Manager

[ Edited ]

Hi Everyone,

We have discovered this issue ourselves in our testing. We have a bug open for it and are working on a fix.

WeMo rules are stored in two places:

1) On the WeMo itself (all rules run from here)
2) On the smart devices set to control the WeMo.

Since the rules are stored on the WeMo itself, you can set them up, delete the WeMo App from your smart device and the WeMo will continue to function normally.

So why is this happening?

First here is what is designed to happen:

1) Rule is created in WeMo App.
2) Rule is pushed to the WeMo and saved there.
3) Rule is saved to the Smart Device.

The rule that is stored on the WeMo controls that WeMo, and runs based on the internal clock of the WeMo. The App also knows that there is a rule based on what is saved on the smart device and shows the rule running at its designated time. If the WeMo clock and your Smart device clock are not in sync you may see a rule show as running on your WeMo App even though it is not running on the WeMo, or vice versa.

Now in the issue this thread was created about, what is happening is slightly different.

1) Rule is selected to be deleted from App.
2) Something is happening that is keeping the rule from being deleted from the WeMo.
3) Rule continues to run on the WeMo.

We have found a couple of situations that will cause this and are looking into how to best detect this when it happens and how to keep it from happening.

Regards,
Robert S.
Belkin Technical Support

That's encouraging. While you are looking at this problem, can you address the problem of different iOS devices on the same network showing different rule sets. I have an iPhone that no longer shows any rules (It used to), whereas the other devices show the rules that are still running.