WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Devices Not In App but work perfectly with Alexa

So I recently got a new home router, and changed internet service to fiber.   I reset ALL of my Wemos to the service new router 2.4 Wifi.  All of them showed in the app.  After a couple of days only 3 of the devices show in the app anymore.  One dimmer and two plugs.  I have 4 light switches and a second dimmer that all show not detected.  Now here is the fun part. ALL of my devices work fine with voice control from Alexa.

So 5 of 8 devices do not show in the WeMo app but all 8 work with Alexa.  Any ideas? (other than resetting them AGAIN)

Yes I have reset each of them starting with just wifi and then factory resets.  

Yes I have the latest app version.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 with Android 7 updated to latest patch

I have the same results on my Asus Zen 8 Tablet running Android 6.0.1  updated to latest patch

I am getting very frustrated with the stability of device and app.  

Re: Devices Not In App but work perfectly with Alexa

The workarounds found on this link might be of help, PilotJWR. If challenge persists, email us at WemoCares@belkin.com with the link to this thread, your username, and your contact details so we can have you assisted by our 2nd level support team. 

Ces-21490
WEMO Technical Support

PilotJWR wrote:

So I recently got a new home router, and changed internet service to fiber.   I reset ALL of my Wemos to the service new router 2.4 Wifi.  All of them showed in the app.  After a couple of days only 3 of the devices show in the app anymore.  One dimmer and two plugs.  I have 4 light switches and a second dimmer that all show not detected.  Now here is the fun part. ALL of my devices work fine with voice control from Alexa.

So 5 of 8 devices do not show in the WeMo app but all 8 work with Alexa.  Any ideas? (other than resetting them AGAIN)

Yes I have reset each of them starting with just wifi and then factory resets.  

Yes I have the latest app version.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy S7 with Android 7 updated to latest patch

I have the same results on my Asus Zen 8 Tablet running Android 6.0.1  updated to latest patch

I am getting very frustrated with the stability of device and app.  

I have good news and bad news.  The good news is you can continue to use Alexa to control the devices.  The bad news is the reason you can’t see them in YOUR WeMo app is because they are now showing up in someone else’s.  You see, Belkin has a longstanding problem that they refuse to address wherein your devices get paired to someone else’s remote access.  So, fret not if your lights turn on and off randomly; that is your anonymous benefactor trying to figure out what the unknown devices in their app are.

Hope none of your missing WeMos are cameras!  

Workaround???????   This is no work aroun you pointed me to, it is instructions on how to uninstall the app, and reset my devices to factory settings and start over again!!!  This is NOT acceptable and if the other response is correct that my devices are now registered to someone else's app, I hear a class action coming due to privacy and security concerns.  I want someone to contact me IMMEDIATELY.  You have my email from my registration to this community.

[ Edited ]

Hi PilotJWR and airmandan

The business of WeMos showing up in other peoples' apps is of course quite unacceptable and has been much discussed on these pages with no real acceptance, explanation or remedy from Belkin.

What's particularly worrying though Dan is not so much lights turning on and off at random. Some users have indicated that they are using WeMo to turn their gas fires on and off by operating the electric gas valve!

I shudder to think what could arise from that if.... Well need I say more?

Regards

Pete

Thankfully mine are just light switches, but two of the ones "missing" are ones I had rules setup for as outside lights so it is costing me $$.  Someone might just need to reach out to a lawyer and the FBI Cyber division as this has huge security and privacy implications.  I might just return everything for a refund and buy competitor hardware.  Not sure yet.  I need to hear from Belkin immediately.

[ Edited ]

I understand your frustration PilotJWR, I really do.

You need some serious help from Belkin and it's very annoying for you.

But if it's not forthcoming and you're serious about taking everything back to the shop for a refund or indeed contacting your lawyer, check out the app Automation Manager for IoT on Google Play. That's what I did few years or so ago and all my issues with WeMo were resolved and they've been perfect ever since. It's a paid for app but the support from the developer if needed is fantastic.

Automation Manager For IoT does everything I could possibly want with WeMo and it has freed me from the Belkin cloud where I suggest security problems occur. It's even reduced my WeMo-elevated blood pressure!

Regards

Pete

Pete,

Thanks for the suggestion but I already spent enough money on these devices that are supposed to do the things I want and be secure in doing them.  I should not have to go get another app that I have to pay for on top of what I have already spent.  I do appreciate the info.

Yes I understand your sentiments PilotJWR

You really shouldn't have to spend more money to correct for faults in a product that you expect to work properly.

I do hope you get a resolution soon and good luck with your automation project.

Regards

Pete