WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Devices not detected

Hi, Jmhawk. Allow us to assist you with your challenges. May we know the current version of your WeMo app? What is the LED status of the WeMo devices? Have you tried to use a different handheld device as suggested by

Jan - 22019
WEMO Technical Support

So interesting that the moderator always says the same thing..."let us help you".  SO many people are telling Belkin the same thing.  The devices do NOT keep a reliable connection.  You cannot trust they will ever work when you are away.  No matter how many offers you have to talk to Customer Support level 1 or higher.  There is flaw that needs to be addressed. You should offer us all a refund not to mention the cost involved if you hired a professional to install.

[ Edited ]

Uhhh.....ok, do you mean the app firmware? It's currently 1.19.1 (133).....I don't see anyway to update it.

If you mean the switches' firmware.....how to I update that remotely from 3,000 miles away when they show "not detected"? The switches were all updated with the latest firmware in early April when I was last there.

I thought about deleting the app and then re-installing it, but I was afraid that I then would lose all my switches entirely.

I'm trying other devices now...tried downloading the wemo app for my iPad....but it isn't showing up in the app store (even though I'm running IOS 10.1. Trying the app on a Note 4......it's been "downloading" for an hour. Opened the app on Galaxy Avant...no devices show up. My primary phone is a Note 8 where my swithces show as "not detected".

This is just taking too much of my time! I need something that WORKS and is RELIABLE!

Hi @ dmd3home

Aslong as you do not reset the device, you need not to worry about installing/unistalling the app. A power outage can also a cause for this scenario. Apart from that, it could also be that the router isn't online which made your Wemo devices not to be detected by the app. Also please confirm if the remote access is enabled on your app. 

Mark-22022
Wemo Technical Support

[ Edited ]

You're not following.....Or, I'm not following....."as long as I "do not reset the device" I don't need to worry about installing/uninstalling the app". Are you talking about reseting the Wemo Plugs? What does this mean?

"A power outage can cause this"??? Well shoundn't it all come back when the power is restored?

The router offline???? Shouldn't all return  when it's back online? BTW, I can verify the router and power as I have other devices, including a weather station that are online and performing fine. Only the Wemo plugs are "Not Detected"!!!

I just got off the phone (50 mins worth) with "level 2" tech support.....pretty worthless! But at least they called me. She seemed to know less about these plugs than I do and was simply going through a flow chart procedure (more like a level1). She suggested that I reset the plugs.....well, that is the problem. These are "remote" swithches, and, as such, I am trying to operate them remotely. I'm 3,000 miles away! Eventually she suggested that I try to turn off "remote access" and then turn it on again. I had been hesitant to do that because I was afraid I might lose them completely. Well, I was right. When I turned off remote access, because the registered plugs were already in a "Not Detected" state, the app now sees NO plugs at all and wants you to register new devices. The app is starting from scratch!

It was suggested earlier (by Wemo tech support) that I try to access the plugs from other devices. Although I had set up the app on 2 other devices, this was done a year earlier and I have since, added a 3rd plug to control a dehumidifier and, at the same time did firmware updates on all of them. So, the other devices show my earlier setup, without the dehumidifier (and without the updated firmware?). But,they also show as "Not Detcted". 

I tried adding the app to yet another device, but, of course, I was unable to get to my plugs at all....nothing was there...it just wants me to add new devices. You don't have an "account" with your plugs that you access...apparently your plugs are only in that particular app on that particular device. Every device you use, within the Wemo app, has to register all your plugs at one time...especially if there is a firmware update. If you go to a different device, it may not work. 

Bottom line is that if your plugs go "Not Detected", (and no one seems to know why this happens....but it does fairly frequently), there is no way to get them back again unless you are there, at the same location, and go through a whole reset and complete new setup. This defeats the whole purpose and is unacceptable! If a better solution doesn't appear soon, I'll be forced to go to various review sites and highly recommend to NOT PURCHASE THESE as they are inherently unreliable! BTW, I returned 4 other new mini's when I discovered this issue. Also, I have 3 TP-Link plugs in another location....they've worked fine for 3 years! Hmmmm.  

[ Edited ]

dmd3home: I know this doesn't help you in your current situation but if you park an Automation Manager server on a cheap Android at your location you can even have access via a webpage hosted at Google that any device can access. My money says those devices are still online. I've been running AM for years now and my Wemos are basically always online. I only use the Wemo app at this point to add a Wemo or reset the Wifi. Do you have a computer onsite that you could remote into? There are some desktop apps that can access Wemo on local LAN as well.

Thanks Bilim35C17,

Very intriguing. I'm quite interested in what you are proposing. But, I was hoping for something much simpler!.....like maybe that the app would just work. This should be simple! I might just try TP-Link plugs and the Kasa app. I have a couple of them and they seem to work fine.

I don't like the thought of having to keep a computer running at the site 24/7 but, would something like a Rasberry Pi work? Do you have step by steps instructions on how to set all this up from scratch? Is it secure? I might be intersted in setting up something like this in my main home as well as I have many devices I'd like to control remotely. It just looks like a lot of time and effort to invest. But, pretty cool. Any more info available.

MikeP who programmed it is a poster here.

You can just run it full time on a cheap $20-$30 Android phone you can find at BestBuy or Walmart.  No need to run it on a full desktop PC.   I think a limited version can run on Raspberry Pi but I've never tried it.

Here is the core support site:

https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/

Automation Manager App

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mpp.android.wemo&hl=en

The piece that connects to Google Drive

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=mpp.wemoOnDrive

Nice thing is basically unlimited locations, from any device and you can also base security on Google Drive permissions

A thread here on it as well

http://community.wemo.com/t5/WEMO-Application/Automation-Manager-AKA-WemoManager-Great-product-Multi...

Wow, very cool. I could do a lot with this. Still, for this simple application, controlling 3 devices remotely, it seems a bit much. or is it? Hmmmm.

But, I do have a great interest in this....particularly in my main home. And yes, I have several android phones if, as you say, they will do the job....easy enough to leave on on and plugged in. But, still, now I'd be taking on a whole new hobby with much time invested. I may do it though.....it looks sooo intriguing! It's all pretty new to me and I really would likely need step by step instructions. I will read through all the links provided and see. I've already wasted countless hours on these Wemo plugs, after all, certainly a few hours for something productive would be welcomed. The thought of a home automation server run off a discarded android phone....wow! Hopefully I can stay in touch with you.

It also integrates with a lot of different IOT platforms too and support from Mike is second to none.