WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: Devices not detected

@Mark_C wrote:

Hi @ dmd3home

Aslong as you do not reset the device, you need not to worry about installing/unistalling the app. A power outage can also a cause for this scenario. Apart from that, it could also be that the router isn't online which made your Wemo devices not to be detected by the app. Also please confirm if the remote access is enabled on your app. 

Yeah, when Mark said that I was tempted to call him out, but then I started wondering if there'd been a update to the belkin app and this now worked.   thought I'd better leave it to the "expert" since it'd been so long since I used that app...  You're not the first to lose remote devices for good thanks to this piss poor advice from belkin support (and crappy app design), I'm sorry it had to happen again Smiley Sad.

AutomationManager also supports TP Link.  You can continue to use the manufacturer app too - so perhaps only set it up at one site and use the original app for the other when you're remote (and it's working!), and AutomationManager when you're there.  If you do lose your phone while remote AM uses google authentication so once you setup your new phone you get your device access back, or as Bilim mentioned you can use a web browser.

AM will run on an rPI but unless you already have one a phone is a better choice - built in battery and touch screen, usually less expensive, and it has access to google library services including IFTTT (so alexa, google assistent, etc).  The app has a lot of function but the basic stuff should be relatively easily to get going using the built in GUI.

Thanks Mike. Indeed this sounds like the way to go. I'm quite excited about it. I really do wish though that there was a step by step instruction manual. This may be pushing me to my tech limit and time limit too. But when I think about the time already spent on this..... This is kinda why I went with Wemo and the Wemo app....should be simple...right? And Belkin is a big, well known company that one would think you could trust....with great resources to do it right. It sounds to me like they should drop their Wemo app and start promoting the Automation Manager.....sounds like it works better and supports many more devices.

I have 3 old android phones sitting on my desk right now.....now all I need is the step by step instructions. 

Thanks,

Dan 

WEMO Maker Inventor

The step by step pages depend on what you're trying to get going, but the basic starts here:  https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/faq/wemomanager/wemomanager-howto (look for "How do I start the AM Server on Android", and configuring remote access starts here: https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/faq/wemomanager/wemoondrive.

You can always ask me questions directly (there's a contact link on the web site and in the help), and if there's anything acting strangely there's a built in log that you can view or send me for support.

Thanks Mike,

Your stuff is quite amazing

I tried contacting you through your site but the email link doesn't seem to do anything.

Again I am very intrigued (but overwhelmed) with all this info. Basically I'm simply trying to control 3 Wemo plugs located in Florida from my home in CA (or anywhere else). Very basic. So, it looks like I will need to set this all up the next time I'm in Florida....bringing a spare android phone to use as the server. But, I'm not even sure where to start at that point. Simple step by step instructions for that kind of basic application would be helpful. After I get my "feet wet" with that, I hope to do a similar, but far more involved application at my home.

WEMO Maker Inventor

That'll be your browser settings, clicking on the "email me" link should open your email app, and there's also a contact button in the help page in the app itself.  In any case, it's mpp at rogers.com.

Setup is pretty straight forward:  instal lthe AM app on your phones (the single license covers all installs).  On the phone/tablet you're going to use as a server, drag the AM Server widget to your home screen.  Open the app to discover your devices (easiest is to switch to your phone to your 2.4GHz router band first), or find them by IP.  There's a few extra settings to make sure the server phone doesn't sleep, they're described on that how to page and they're not needed till you get it going.

Next, install the (free) AutomationManager OnDrive app on the server device and log in with your gmail account.  Now you'll have a web access and on your carry phone you can open AM Remote (part of AM) remotely as well.  Easy to test even at home on your wifi or turn off wifi and use your phone data connection. 

Generally just use the default settings for everything.

What I'd do is set up the AM Server while I was still at home (even if you don't have any devices there) and make sure it's working first before heading to Florida (esp if you're under any time pressure).  Then when you get to Florida you only need to plug in the server phone/tablet, discover those devices, forget any you have at home, and tuck it out of the way.

I have had many power outages that ranged from 5 minutes to 12 hours. Not once have I had any issues with my wemo devices after a power outage. They reconnect to the network once the power comes back. Period. They default to the off state as in the switch is turned off. But they reconnect to the network on their own

However, they will randomly disconnect under normal service conditions, which doesn't make a lick of sense. It is very frustrating indeed. I'm looking into replacing all my wemo devices because of the low reliability that wemo provides.