WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Devices on different wifi networks

I've got two different wifi networks in my house (one in the basement, one upstairs). One device is in each location.  Is there any reason this wouldn't work?  I have to connect to the appropriate wifi network to make changes to the device on that network. But will the app work across two different networks? (ie, if I'm on the upstairs network most of the time, will the device on the downstairs network keep working, and remember the scheduled on/off times I gave it?)

Re: Devices on different wifi networks

The Wemo device will only work with the same network on the same location, CathyW.

Ces-21490
WEMO Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

Hmm.  What she meant to say was the wemo you set up on the downstairs network will continue to work and run it's schedules.  But setting it up or changing it will be awkward as belkin's app and cloud service cannot tolerate multiple network names (SSIDs).  You could use two different hand held devices, but if you only have one you'll need to uninstall/reinstall (or clear it's data) and rediscover the app every time you want to change to manage the other wemo.

There's a few aftermarket apps that can control both wemos from one phone without any problems, but to program/change the built in schedules you need the belkin app.

Yes, so far the downstairs app is continuing to run the schedule I gave it, despite my phone being connected to my upstairs wifi nearly all of the time.

And so far, it seems that I can switch between the two devices, by merely connecting to the wifi the device is on (then the other can't be changed).  It takes awhile (like several minutes), but eventually my phone is able to access/switch to the device in question.

The part I'm less sure about is what if I'm away from home, and not using wifi at all - using LTE instead. I've been able to turn on a schedule when away from home (I was traveling, and had forgotten).  My guess is that unless I had already been on the wifi network in question, I will not be able to access the device when using the cell network.

WEMO Maker Inventor

I don't use it myself so I can't confirm, but I'd say that's a pretty good guess Smiley Happy.  In fact I think that you'll only ever be able to connect remotely to the last device you setup using the belkin app, unless they've changed things recently.  I think the belkin app will control any wemos it finds locally when you connect to a network but only configures your account to the original ssid.

When will we be able to access WEMO devices from multiple networks?  I have a vacation home that has wemo and it's a pain to get WEMO to work when there is only one smart phone to control a different wemo geographical location.  My smart thermostat that uses one app can monitor and I have access to both locations....SO WEMO com'on man!!

When will we be able to access WEMO devices from multiple networks?  I have a vacation home that has wemo and it's a pain to get WEMO to work when there is only one smart phone to control a different wemo geographical location.  My smart thermostat that uses one app can monitor and I have access to both locations....SO WEMO com'on man!!

[ Edited ]

I agree, I do not understand why all devices need to be on the same network. This seems like a huge oversight. I have a Wemo mini at home and at work. I setup the one at work first for remote control. My app wont show my local unit at home, even when I'm connected to the same network. If I use the Wemo app on another device, the local home Wemo pops right up.

You should be able to remote control multiple devices where ever they are, this is the 21st century after all...

Me too. Looks like people first complained about this issue to Belkin back in 2014. I’m about to return ALL the WeMos I bought back to Costco. Amazon has another similar product that will probably work better

Unless Belkin wants to tell us that they have a fix ready to go ... app locked to one WiFi for a device that controls remote devices? This is USELESS!