WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Highlighted
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎11-23-2018
Accepted Solution

Google Home can control Wemo devices, App cannot

I installed a new WiFi router today keeping the same SSID and password as the previous one.  After the switch, I verified via the router admin page that all of my Wemo devices had connected since the SSID and password had not changed. But I can no longer control them with the Wemo app. When I bring up the app, all of my devices show up, but any attempt to control them causes the device icon to become greyed out with a label of "Not Detected". If I click on the "Rules" tab, my rules do not appear. This behavior occurs when on the local WiFi and when on cellular. On the other-hand, my devices can still be controlled via my Google Home. I uninstalled and re-installed the Wemo app which made no difference.

 

I realize I could start over by doing a factory-reset on everything, but that will be a real pain. I have a lot of devices and a lot of rules.

 

Thoughts?

 

Moderator
Posts: 144
Registered: ‎08-22-2017

Re: Google Home can control Wemo devices, App cannot


@JimBuzbee wrote:

 

I realize I could start over by doing a factory-reset on everything, but that will be a real pain. I have a lot of devices and a lot of rules.

 

Thoughts?

 


Hi, JimBuzbee. That seems odd. It should not properly work with GoogleHome if it's not working on the Wemo app. We might need to reset the Wemo devices since it has saved the MAC address of the previous router. That's the only thing we can do perhaps. Hope this helps. 

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎11-23-2018

Re: Google Home can control Wemo devices, App cannot

Follow up: I did a factory-reset on two of my Wemo plugs. No change. After they were initialized, the app still could not control them although Google Home and a third-party app from the Google Play store could. So again, I un-installed and re-installed the official Wemo app. No change. I finally dug into the Android settings menu, found the Wemo app, and cleared all of its cache and storage. Only then could the app control all of my devices. You'd expect that app settings and storage would not be maintained across re-installs of an app, but evidently some data persists. Seems like an Android bug to me, Anyway, I'm now fully functional on the new router.