WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

High Data Usage

In the past 10 days that my Wemo Switch has been connected to my network it has used 432 megabytes of data down and 210 megabytes of data up. I've probably used the app twice to turn on/off the switch in those ten days. I'm just curious why it's using so my data, is this normal? It was recently reset 10 days ago.

Re: High Data Usage

How do you messure this? ROM updates perhaps?

That should not be the case. I've researched about this before buying and got this from Belkin website:

"WeMo uses very little bandwidth on your home network.  WeMo will only use your Internet bandwidth when you have Remote Access enabled"

More unusual if you only used the App while you're connected to your wireless network. What device is plugged to your WeMo switch?

My access point tracks all device usage.  Since I posted two days ago the plug had used another 200mb down and a over 100 up.  It's bascially constantly active.  I just rest it and also connected my Insight and Motion to see how they do.

Is this access point perhaps just tracking internal network traffic? Perhaps they are communicating interneally but not using your internet bandwidth?

Interneto could be right. Maybe it's just the internal network traffic. What program/application did you use to monitor the bandwidth usage?

I'm just going by the data usage that my UniFi access point is showing.  It does count both internal and external traffic, but I don't think they would be commuicating with each other that much. Especially when I only had one device connected for two weeks.  I really think its traffic to belkins server, just seems higher than I would expect.  If people are on limited data plans these devices would not be for them.  If I get time this weekend I'll set up a machine with Wireshark between my access point and switch and see exactly where all the traffic is going. 

So in the two days I've had all three devices connected the plug has used 110M down, 128M up.  Insight, 106 down 119up, motion 28.8 down 203 up.  I can actually understand the motion using so much more up, I'm guessing it has to report to the server everytime it senses motion.

So did the firmware on the Wemo's update at any point?

I have not seen them update on my current access point.

I suggest that you try to Disable the Remote Access option on your WeMo switches for a day and observe if you get the same usage. WeMo switches only uses data for Remote Access Feature.