WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: How to secure my wemo insight switches for other wemo app users ?

Hadn't thought of the vacation home thing.  Didn't realise they could potentially bridge back to other stuff either.  And I guess others accessing a camera in your home is more of an isse than turning lights on and off.  Fair enough then.  Thanks for the explanation.

I am glad you asked that question. As you can see the real problem is that most of the users are not aware of the opportunities IoT is offering. Because most of the customers of IoT - at least in private usage - are not thinking too serious about security because "it is only a light"
I have read the whole informations Mike provided by posting the link - and there you can see the usage of the wemo from hackers perspective.
I am so happy finding this community - where all members (I know by this thread) are acting respectful and it seems that there is no silly question but intelligent and worthy answers without bullying anyone. Thanks a lot to everybody for that by the way.

Actually the "it's a light only" thinking is what I also did.
But knowing that it is possible to hack the smartphone which is the remote for the IoT device is mir or less easy possible makes me think different.
I will set them wemo devices up in a new wifi network with hidden SSID and no internet connection. For me there is a big advantage by remote management when i am home. Of course it makes sense to install a wifi and internet camera for security reasons which has access to internet so you can check your rooms when offsite.
But I think I will go searchig for other devices which are far more protected of getting hacked.
And much more important: awareness of the security question.

Turn it into real life drama.

You use a door lock for your flat like NUKI (a door lock for the entrance to your flat, using an app / key remote / internet app if offsite) but a burglar will clean your rooms during your holidays.
If you would have a normal key and lock system your insurance will pay (I am using the fact there is an insurance)
Biting the insurance will recognize you are using such a IoT - locking system and there is a big lack inside your it security - they will argue that it was your fault because you let the door wide open.
And as you can see with the wemo, you really need to know so much more then only the users manual of the device itself.
So the flat is empty and no insurance will pay.
The possibilities and the comfort of remote access to everything and maybe soon everyone is interesting and for several reasons useful. But it is far more dangerous and riskful then it is discussed.

Again, many thanks to all !
I will find some questions to my upcoming setup and i know I am allowed to bother you that time again Smiley Happy

Best regards
Dan

I just ordered my very first wemo switch.  It should arrive on Tuesday.  What's the best way for me to set it up from the start to avoid people (besides me) being able to access it?  I don't have a guest wifi account, not even sure how to get one.  

My family members who don't live with me, and a few friends have my wifi password for when they're at my house.  Would that mean if they have the wemo app on their phones they will be able to control my switch, even if they're not here?  Or would they have to be here at some point in order to log into my "system"?  It's not that I don't trust them, but I don't like the idea of having something ANYone else can control, especially remotely.

As you can see, I don't even know if I'm asking the right questions.

[ Edited ]

The only way to stop people controlling your WeMo is not let them have access to your network - impractical I know but reality. Your router may offer a Guest Network and if so enable that and only allow them to connect to that rather than your main network. Failing that, never mention WeMo to them so the chances of them installing the WeMo App while they are connected to your network (the only way they can gain access to your WeMo) and discovering your WeMo is vanishingly small. If they do, they will be able to control your WeMo while they are on your network and you have no control other than asking them not to do so. If they enable Remote Access while connected, then when they leave your house they will be able to control your WeMo remotely. If they don't stop when you ask them, they are no longer friends and you can disable their remote access using the WeMo App in Settings!! Equally, when they are connected locally they could disable your remote access.

I found out how to set up a guest router account through my internet provider.  I wish I'd known about that a long time ago!  Anyway, since my friends and family already know the password to my regular account, I'm thinking of just setting up the WeMo on the guest account, all by itself.  It seems easier than changing the password on my regular account, and making everyone change the settings in their phones and laptops when they come to visit.

Does that make sense?  Any drawbacks?

Thank you.

[ Edited ]

It would work but why not use the Guest Network for what it was designed for? If you have your WeMo on the Guest Network and you connect to your normal network you will always be trying to control your WeMo remotely - also you will need to connect to your Guest Network to even set up WeMo in the first place. If it were me, I would (if I were concerned about my "friends") just change the main network password, use WeMo on that and have your visitors use the Guest.

if you don't take that route consider what other things (which are potentially much more sensitive then a switch) they can see on your network

Thank you very much, @PhilH.  I've taken your advice.  I changed the password on my main network and I'll set up the wemo on that.  

[ Edited ]

They now have edit users on app. 

Highlighted

Your wemo insight switches can be controlled using an app. However, if you invited someone to see your switches on the network that might be the #1 reason. #2 Secure your network by setting it's security mode to WPA/WPA 2 Personal & never share your network.