WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

I can't believe WEMO is this unreliable...

[ Edited ]

Seriously -- I've been developing enbedded network applications for 25 years and I think the only time I've seen a system this flaky is early on in the proof of concept stage.

I bought a WEMO Insight to test and see how easy it was to set up (not very,) and use (almost impossible.)

The switch is running the latest firmware (I think -- who knows?)and I'm running the WEMO app v1.16 on  an LG V10 running Android 6.0.

To start with, while setting up the switch, it keeps failing and tellimg me to connect to my home network.  Only after retrying many times (over a dozen) it finally finds the switch. And this is while connected to the switch's setup SSID.

Keep in mind that during the following, I was consistently pinging the switch on my home network at once per second.  I never dropped a ping.

Most of the time, using the WEMO Android app, I can't turn the switch on or off.  Occasionally the app will even tell me the switch cannot be found EVEN THOUGH I CAN STILL PING IT.

Anything else that requires talking to the switch is also very flakey, like reading the firmware version or getting the IFTTT code. I have to retry a lot and sometimes kill and restart the application.

Is it this bad for everyone else?  I can't imagine Belkin would sell any of these if everyone had the same experience I am having.  If it were my produvt, it wouldn't even make it out of the pre-Alpha stage of testing.

== RK

Re: I can't believe WEMO is this unreliable...

Yes....I have a v10 also and this barely works! I was able to find two wemo bulbs once in 3 days... And my Cree bulbs NEVER. I'm hoping it will run smoother once I connect everything to my smart things when it arrives...
for now it just doesn't work.
Dg2

Countless issues experienced with switches and rules.  I've invested hours reconfiguring, resetting and repeating these steps I've never wasted so much time on a manual timer switch ever, all they need is the occasional time tweak and tune up dor daylight savings and the different seasons (I'm controlling external lights).

Things have gotten so bad with my lights tuning on and off 1 hour too early (DLS) that I've given up pushing belkin wemo support to only be old delete the rule, recreate, restart your router... they suggested I do this daily - what a joke.

I've now turned my attention to how I'm going to destroy these devices as that will provide me with some entertainment and significantly more value than the products intended design...

[ Edited ]

gt40mkii wrote:

Is it this bad for everyone else?  I can't imagine Belkin would sell any of these if everyone had the same experience I am having.  If it were my produvt, it wouldn't even make it out of the pre-Alpha stage of testing.

== RK

LOL@ the 25 years expert IT guy with his overhyped LV10.

Who cares?!  N6P on Nougat 7.0 here if you were a real tinkerer.

So - If you had gone through the real recent forum threads instead of your angry ole man rant, you would have seen they have been having some issues with their backbone in the last couple of weeks.

But to answer your question. Nope  - only you 1 post-ers with your BF/SD.net pickups

7 switches & plugs here with no problems until this recent server bump + with Alexa command & control.

Some people have well over 20 with no problems for the last 2 years.

Hub?  why put in another thing that could break in between.

Petulant 1 post-ers.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Dg2 wrote:

Countless issues experienced with switches and rules.  I've invested hours reconfiguring, resetting and repeating these steps I've never wasted so much time on a manual timer switch ever, all they need is the occasional time tweak and tune up dor daylight savings and the different seasons (I'm controlling external lights).

Things have gotten so bad with my lights tuning on and off 1 hour too early (DLS) that I've given up pushing belkin wemo support to only be old delete the rule, recreate, restart your router... they suggested I do this daily - what a joke.

I've now turned my attention to how I'm going to destroy these devices as that will provide me with some entertainment and significantly more value than the products intended design...

For less than the cost of a manual timer, and certainly for far less than the loss of destroying the wemos, AutomationManager will get your sunrise/sunset/timezone issues sorted and will work year round..  I use the time and time zone from the phone itself so it's always correct.

These products are pretty much garbage and they are not willing to take them back either they have a few guys from tech support try and fix the issue but it's just a terrible company to deal with

Highlighted

Hi, Wemosucks1. Please do email us at WemoCares@belkin.com so that we can have your case reviewed. Include the link to this post, and your contact # and location.

Kloe-21503
WEMO Technical Support