WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Intermittent problem connecting to WeMo

I have one WeMo Mini Smartplug. I have connected it and use the app on two different phones to turn the plug on and off. Both phones are Samsung S7s (1 Edge, 1 not-edge). One phone seems to have problems connecting to the WeMo intermittently. When attempting to connect we get an error "Connect to wifi or your phone's data service"... Typically, I'm able to use the other phone to connect to WeMo and successfully turn on (or off) the plug. However, this is NOT a solution. It's really driving us nuts, and we're ready to pull the plug (Pun intended). 

We've recently updated the firmware, but the problem existed before (and ater) the update. 

Any ideas? 

Re: Intermittent problem connecting to WeMo

Hello, catydid,

May we know which phone is having problems with connectivity? Is this the phone that was used to initially install the WeMo mini? For isolation, try to clear cache and uninstall then reinstall the WeMo app on that phone and observe if it made any difference.

Jan - 22019
WEMO Technical Support

Thanks for your reply. 

The Samsung S7 Edge has the most problems - but probably becaue we use it the most. The Samsung S7 has intermittent problems as well. 

I have uninstalled, and reinstalled the app on both phones. I have reset the plug, and reinstalled it as well. Didn't seem to make any difference. 

@catydid To verify, are you connected to the same network as the Mini when you launched the Wemo App? Please do connect if you're not and enable the Remote Access under Settings so you'll be able to access the Mini remotely.

Also, make sure to use the latest Wemo App version.

Rosalyn - 21986
Wemo Technical Support

We have enabled Remote Access. To be clear - it works somtimes, just NOT ALL the time. 

As previously explained, I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app - I have the latest update installed. 

Thanks for clarifying. Are both phones running the same OS?

Rosalyn - 21986
Wemo Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Yes, both phones are running same OS.

Are you experiencing the same issue when connected via WiFi and through cellular data? Allow us to endorse your case to our Escalation Team for further diagnosis. Please email us at WemoCares@belkin.com along with the following details:

Full Name:
Phone Number:
Location (city/state):
Community Username:
Link to this post:

Phone's OS version:

Rosalyn - 21986
Wemo Technical Support

I have a new WEMO mini plug, attempting to connect to my iPhone 7plus and I am getting the same errors. However I have been unable to get the devise setup at all. I have attempted all the same steps... after attempting to connect to WiFi it then attempts to connect to cellular and then just resets.

@MoncelloFamily Let's have our Escalation Engineers run a further diagnosis on this matter. Please shoot us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com together with the relevant info mentioned above. We'll wait for it. 

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support