WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Is this possible with a smart plug?

Hello everyone!

I have an automatic gate that I would like to control remotly with my smart phone and also Alexa.  I have a 120 volt outlet in a weather proof enclosure right next to my gate opener control box.  I intend on plugging a Wemo mini smart plug into this outlet and registering it on my Wemo phone app.  Then I am going to plug a power relay into the Wemo smart plug.  I will then wire the relay to the gate control box switch lugs.   When this power relay receives 120 volts from the smart plug, it will complete the circuit and tell my gate to open.  The 120 volt trigger on the relay is totally seperated from the other side.  The 120 volt trigger is simply used to tell the relay to trip.  The other side of the relay that's wired to my gate control box will be low voltage (12 volts).

Here's my delima.  To open my gate with my phone, I will have to press the button in my Wemo app and the gate will open because the relay will receive 120 volts from the Wemo smart plug and close the circuit.  But, to close the gate I have to hit the button again to open the circuit, then press the button a 3rd time to close the circuit to send a close command to the gate control box.  

Is there any way  that I can just hit the button once in the Wemo app and it will turn my smart plug on, then immediatly off?  Just a quick open close of the circuit.  I know there's timer settings in the app but I need this on off function to happen like in just a few seconds with only one touch of the button.

By the way, when I'm away from home, I have security cameras to view to confirm if my gate is indeed open or closed.

Thanks for any help community!

Re: Is this possible with a smart plug?

Allow us to look into this, Keizer. Since you're experiencing a delay from the App, have you tried uninstalling and re-installing it? Make sure that you've downloaded the latest version. You may also try checking it on another handheld device if the same behavior happens.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

I'm not having any issues with the app at all.  In a nut shell I was wondering if you can turn a smart plug on, then immediatly off from only pressing the button in the app once.  So the smart plug is off.  I then open my Wemo phone app.  I want to be able to touch the button once for the smart plug and that will turn it on, then immediatly off.  In the timer off settings the lowest it will go is 1 minute.  I'd like 2 seconds or less. 

WEMO Maker Inventor

Wow, what fast support.  Totally wrong, but really fast.

You can do this easily with some aftermarket apps, for example WemoHome and AutomationManager both have "momentary" widgets that can trigger the device for as short as 1s.  The belkin app can't do it.

Thanks Mike.......Perfect!

[ Edited ]

Okay I have a couple questions.  I added a switch widget and tested it with my bedroom light which is controlled by a Wemo switch. (Still waiting for my relay for the gate opener) I set the widget to turn on my light and automatically turn it back off after one second.  The problem is, when I click the widget, another small screen pops up with the description "Bedroom light" and I have to then click the arrow to start the on/off command.  Is there a way I can just click the widget and the light will turn on/off?

Also, the regular Wemo app will work off my cell signal if wifi isn't available.  Is this possible with AutomationManager?  I'd really like to be able to open and close my gate when I'm not home. 

WEMO Maker Inventor

Yep, for no popup use the AM Device widget and pick tye "momentary" type, then configure the time you need.

For remote access you'll want to run the AM Server.  It needs to run on an android (or pc/mac) that stays on at all times at home - there you can run the rule engine and rigger actions remotely.  (A suitable android is $20-$30 from bestbuy/walmart/target if you don't have an old tablet or phone you can use).  Works great with google assistant / voice, I use it to unlock my front door as I drive up.

Hmmmm, when I use the AM Device widget all I get are these options under type. (See pic)  No Momentary.P_20180710_124334.jpg

WEMO Maker Inventor

You can use either timed sleep or timed toggle, they both use momentary for wemo sockets and switches.

That works Mike....Thanks!