WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Life sucks, Jellybeaners. Off you go and don't bother us again.

[ Edited ]

Your flippant attitude to your customers appalls me, Belkin

Here's a passage from your help article for all of us running JellyBean in which the latest version of your app won't run:

Hey Jellybeaners,

As you’re probably aware, the Jellybean OS is four years old (which is about 97 in OS years) and many apps are moving beyond supporting it.  For Wemo, this happened sooner than we intended, when we released a version of our app that doesn’t work with it.

I say, Why didn't you try it on a few Jellybean devices first?

Well, I may be using an "ancient" tablet that is a full four years old works perfectly well, is fast and cost me around £250, but I'm not go to spend another £250 (plus) to replace it just to get your lumbering app to run further updates. All other apps I download work perfectly well in JellyBean and that includes the third party apps that operate WeMos far better than yours I might add (multiple homes from one app, widgets etc.). In fact, "Automation Manager" works astonishingly well and functions perfectly all the way back to Gingerbread, attracting mainly five-star ratings.

It would be easier to accept if you didn't as always try to make something funny out of your shortfallings. Remember "the smell of cookies straight from the oven" in your 'what's new' on Google Play? And now 4 years is 97 in OS years (see above).

I was actually mellowing and was about to suggest that WeMo users start praising WeMo on these pages rather than only using them for complaints and rancour.

Well, you can forget that.

Life sucks.

Regards

Pete

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: Life sucks, Jellybeaners. Off you go and don't bother us again.

Not just flippant, it's shows complete incompetence.  A mistake like this, and it's not even an apology!   What kind of QA process would let a release out the door "sooner than we intended".

And now this on Play:

Nothing to see here, folks, unless you’re a Jellybean user. If you are, you will be pleased to learn that we’ve introduced a workaround that will get you back in the game. Please note this is the last update that will support Jellybean. Time marches on.

BUT - as of right now it STILL won't install onto Jellybean systems.  You all didn't get around to trying it this time either?

As you pointed out, this release MUST be made to work on jellybean as the old version has a security exposure.   And it still says 4.1 on all of my boxes.   And your Playstore entry.

Most apps still run on android all of the way back to 2.3.  Contrast with AutomationManager (AM):

Androids:  Belkin = Lollipop 5.0.  AM = Gingerbread 2.3.

Size: Belkin (old) = 63Gb,  (new) = 29Gb.  AM = 4.3Gb.

Yes, 4 point 3 GB.  That includes a UI, widgets, rule engine, a cloud client AND cloud server.  Nearly half of that is google libraries for the cloud access.  WemoHome weighs in at light 2.5Gb and also runs all of the way back to android 2.3.

You might want to have a word with your technical leadership.

At the very least show some customer consideration.  Open the locked wifi linking part of the wemos to 3rd party developers so we're not stuck with useless wemos as "time marches on".

WEMO Maker Inventor

Another broken app release.  15.3 will STILL not download to many android 4.1 devices.

So the status for us is:

1. The current version belkin app will not install to many android 4.x devices (mine are samsung).
  2. The only version that we can run has a security flaw.
  3. There are many reports that version hangs when trying to setup devices.
  4. There's a report here that a workaround version exists, but it seems it's not been made public.

I will sign an NDA if belkin would like to release the configuration encryption method to vendors.

I'd even consider a contract for producing a configuration application for older androids.

I can be reached via PM on this board.

I've never seen a company that would abandon users on previously supported platforms!  Or one that refuses to answer questions about product futures that are affecting customers today (even if the answer is "bear with us, we'll let you know by 1Q").

Yo, Mike

I think this is the link to that so-called workaround, but correct me if I'm wrong:

https://fw.xwemo.com/wemo-jellybean.apk

I've installed it on my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet running JellyBean. The only "fix" insofar as I can tell apart from the fact that it will actually run is that it displays previously stored icons for the WeMos, although it says that images are not supported when you try to change them! What's worrying though apart from the security issue is that it does not appear to offer firmware upgrades for the WeMos.

I'm running KitKat on my Samsung 'phone and I've been able to load 15.3 on to that and when I open it (the WeMo app) I get a notification straight away saying that a firmware update is available for my WeMo switches. I always let firmware upgrades cool off a bit before installing them though. Once bitten.....!

So, it seems that anyone who only has JellyBean at their disposal and has been able to load the so-called "get you back into the game" fix, will be stuck with old firmware too.

I'm concerned about how long it will be before my 'phone running KitKat will be consigned to the "Time Marches On" scrapheap by Belkin.

Of course, all this nonsense would be remedied instantly if only Belkin would open up the configuration encryption method to developers as you suggest. I really can't see what they'd have to lose and it would remove a lot of headaches for them. AND it would increase the sales of WeMos!

Think about all those lovely $$$$$$$$, Belkin.

Regards

Pete

WEMO Maker Inventor

Interesting... did belkin provide any documentation for that APK?  I couldn't figure out how we're supposed to find it, and I'd sure like to see if it's got the security fix they promised before I go through the effort of installing it.

Still no comment from belkin... not on this specific APK nor on the future of the wemo line - you'd think product management would want to jump in to reassure us.  Seems like corporate end of product life behaviour Smiley Sad.

I guess they've painted themselves into a corner with their cloud architecture - no way to escape without a rewrite.  And given the competition in the IoT space they can't justify the cost of a rewrite.  We get left holding the bag... or should I say holding onto nothing but clouds.  If they do relaunch the line to revitialize it the writing seems to be on the wall for what would happen to the old devices - same as did the wemo baby monitor.

Hello Mike

When I downloaded the version of the WeMo app "nothing here unless you're a Jellybean user", it just opened up with a link to a support page showing the link I've posted. There was no documentation except instructions on how to install third party apps.

I installed the Jellybean work around using the link.

Unfortunately, the support page has been removed or retired (Belkin's term).

Whether or not they've set up another support page, I don't know. Searching for Jellybean on the Belkin support page brings up a link, but that just takes you to the retired notice.

Regards

Pete

WEMO Maker Inventor

Hah, well, that speaks volumes too.  From my samsung device running 4.2.2 when I look on Play I still get "Your device isn't compatible with this version", which is the problem we reported a month ago.  I guess they never bothered to look into it despite me telling them how to fix it.  A distinct lack of concern.

[ Edited ]

When will Belkin fix the problem ? I can only stay on version 1.13.6_62 all functions work but I cannot edit or view rules and setup because of version too old. If I install 1.15.66 the rules cannot run, the latest version all hangs when startup the apps.

Samsung Note4 running non-root Android 4.4.4