WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Multi-home Wemo Support Poll (Feedback Thread)

Second app availability would be great until you get the multi location problems worked out. Right now I have to try to anticipate which location I will need first then go there and set up for it and hope like hell i'm right

Not sure if my scenario is technically a multi-home, but before creating a new thread, I thought I'd post here.

I have two WiFi routers at home - let's call them Router1 and Router2 (LAN port of Router1 is connected to WAN port of Router2, and the WAN port of Router1 is connected to the cloud).

I realize that the issue that I will describe below will go away if I connected LAN port of Router1 to LAN port of Router2, but I need it to be configured LAN to WAN)

Most of my devices (including 2 Wemo Light switches) are on Router2 - I have a few devices on Router1.

Every now and then, I need to reboot Router2, and since I have a Wemo Switch, I thought I'd use that.

I first added Wemo Switch to Router2's network - I can switch the router off, but since the WiFi connection doesn't exist anymore, I can't switch it back on using Wemo.

So, now I tried to add Wemo Switch to Router1's network. This is where it gets interesting.

When I launched the WeMo app (after successfully resetting/adding the switch), I couldn't see the Wemo switch (but I could see the Wemo light switches).

I uninstalled the Wemo app, and when connected to Router1's network, reinstalled WeMo app - and the app could see the Wemo Switch - but not the Wemo Light switches. Even if I switched from Router1 to Router2's network, I can see/control the Wemo switch, but not the Wemo light switches. 

And the other way around too - uninstalled the app, connected to Router2's network, installed the app, and now, I can see the Wemo light switches, but not the Wemo switch.

tl;dr - two routers on same network (LAN to WAN connection). Wemo Devices on both WiFi networks. If I install Wemo app when connected to one WiFinetwork, app can see Wemo devices on that network (not on other). If I install Wemo app when connected to 2nd WiFi network, app can see Wemo devices on 2nd network (not on first).

On 3g/4g, app can see only the devices on one network (whichever I was connected to when installing the app).

Is there a way to get Wemo app to see all Wemo devices? 

WEMO

jj14:

Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot and document your experience so thoroughly.

What you describe is exactly symptomatic of the multi-home conundrum.  The issue, of course, isn't about physically distinct structures, but logically distinct networks and how the Wemo app establishes its trust relationship with your Wemos by virtue of having access to the same network and the permission schemas in place to facilitate remote access when your app roams to a different network than when that relationship was first established.

To answer your question, the "2nd Home App" being discussed here would solve the issue, because you'd just install and launch the 2nd app when on the 2nd network and use that app to control the devices on that network, regardless of where you later take the phone with that app running on it (back onto network 1, or on your cellular data plan, or your works wireless, whatever).

It's not the most elegant solution, but it would work without a major overhaul of the trust/security architecture focusing on new currently nonexistent identity constructs (which is clearly the long-term solution we must strive for).

However, even though the response to the 2nd Home app in our email survey was generally positive (or at least not broadly hostile), we've dived deep into what it would take to make the user experience of all the weird little edge cases a 2nd Home app would impose, and we've decided to not pursue the idea further.

The effort it would take for it all to make sense to users and the sustained cost of maintaining the subtle UI changes between two apps in both iOS and Android is just too prohibitive to justify what is arguably a hack of a solution to begin with.  It would be better for us to simply invest earlier effort into addressing the core of the problem.

As for your particular use case, though--would us creating an Auto-ON timer do the trick?  Basically, every time a Switch governed by an Auto-ON timer rule was turned off, the firmware would direct it to turn itself back on again after some user-configurable duration (20 seconds to however many minutes, depending on the user's need). We have an Auto-OFF timer that does the opposite, so I don't imagine this would be too hard for us to implement if we prioritized the work.

What do you think?

Highlighted

Hi Tom_Hudson, thank you for taking the time to read thru' my (long) write-up Smiley Happy

I was unsure if the scenario I described was actually different or the same.

I get how two independent networks would have this issue. When I'm connected to my first network (that is connected to the cloud), I realize that access to my 2nd network (that is connected to the cloud thruough the 1st network) will be restricted. 

But when I'm connected to the 2nd network, I can always access devices on my 1st network (even though 2nd network has IPs in the range 192.168.86.x and 1st network has the range of 192.168.1.x) - so I was hoping that my phone, when connected to 2nd network, would be able to control the Wemo switch on the first network, along with Wemo devices on the 2nd network. The same way that my PC (or phone) on 2nd network can find and connect to devices on 2nd network and 1st network

But I guess the actual coding for the app must have other technical limitations/complications that I'm unaware of.

Tom_Hudson wrote:

As for your particular use case, though--would us creating an Auto-ON timer do the trick?  Basically, every time a Switch governed by an Auto-ON timer rule was turned off, the firmware would direct it to turn itself back on again after some user-configurable duration (20 seconds to however many minutes, depending on the user's need). We have an Auto-OFF timer that does the opposite, so I don't imagine this would be too hard for us to implement if we prioritized the work.

What do you think?

That would be perfect for the issue that I'm having. In essence, it would be a "restart" function for the switch, right? So, that way, it would be able to turn on (after being turned off) without the WiFi router being up (when the switch is turned off). So, yes, I think that would solve my issue.

( I didn't realize there was an Auto-OFF timer in the WeMo app today - and now that I looked at the rules in the app, I see it! Doh!)

Tom, would you expect that your proposed auto-on timer could also be used to work around the issue some folk have with wemo's always coming up in the 'off' state after power outages?

Conversely would you expect the same 'legal' issues over auto-on as there apparently are with 'on after power outage'?

Les

New to all this but definitly would like to control in a number of locations.  I looked around to see if I could find the results of the poll but if it's there I must not be looking in the proper spot.  Did this result in a Wemo Second Home app?

[ Edited ]

@Les - see the post (about 3 posts above yours), by @

"However, even though the response to the 2nd Home app in our email survey was generally positive (or at least not broadly hostile), we've dived deep into what it would take to make the user experience of all the weird little edge cases a 2nd Home app would impose, and we've decided to not pursue the idea further."

Hi: 

how do you copy the app?

regards

gaston

Where can I get a side by side Wemo app for my second home

Where can I get a side by side went app for my 2 be home