WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Multi-home Wemo Support Poll (Feedback Thread)

If you can't make a 2 or multi house app you must not have a very sophisticated development team. I can't imagin it would take a good engineer 69 to 90 days to architect, design and deploy a multi tenant app. Come on and get it done.

Hi,

Not a great poll as I have two houses and two sets of links and light bulbs and had no idea this forum existed until after the poll was closed.

However I have run into a completely different problem. Just to set the scene:

1. I have two residences, geographically remote from one another.
    1. Residenace A has 1 x link, 7 x light bulbs, 1 x power switch, 1 x camera (infrared, glass lens), and running the Wemo app on my iPhone 6s+
    2. Residence B has 1 x link, 4 x bulbs, 2 x power switch, 1 x camera (infrared, glass lens), and running the Wemo app on my iPad.
  2. Started off with Residence A, everything installed great, worked perfectly, very happy. Added the camera, no problem. Added second camera, still great, no problems (except the sensitivity of the motion sensors is waaaaaay to high even at it's lowest setting).
  3. Set up Residence B about 3 weeks later. As woth Residence A everything went great (no cameras here yet).
  4. Removed one camera from Residence A and took it to Residence B and installed it. Could see both cameras from the Belkin NetCam app.
  5. Everything worked great for about an hour, then the iPad (controlling Residence B) started to on and off show "Not detected" on all the devices. Residence A on the iPhone said "Wemo Link already assigned" and included all of Resiudence B devices in the device list but showing them as "Not detected". 
  6. Now all residence B devices are showing as Not Detected all the time (on iPad and iPhone) and Residence A show as active but I can't control them (they oy show up on iPhone, not iPad).
  7. My fiance has Residence A controlled on her iPhone (and is on a different AppleID) and it has also started showing Residence B as Not Detected and not allowing any control of Residence A.

I have reset the Residence B Wemo Link and tried to reset the bulbs (5x on/off - hasn't worked for any of them), uninstalled and resinstalled the app from the iPad and iPhone, unplugged the camera from Residence B (I can't get to Residence A for a week), and reset and uninstalled/installed in every order I can think of.  

Now nothing works and I have a growing pile of expensive junk surrounded by disappointment.

It was annoying having to run the two residences on two seperate iOS devices but it worked for about two months until I shifted one of the cameras from A to B.

Any thoughts on how to get this sorted or is it time to give up and put on ebay and go back to analogue switches and dumb houses?

Appreciate any help (but please don't tell me to reset the link and bulbs and uninstall/install the app).

Thanks

WEMO

Hey, Grazer.

We can get you fixed, but you ARE going to have to reset everything up once we disaggregate your two residences in our cloud accounting of what location your Wemos belong to.

Unfortunately, you've tripped over one of those architectural hairballs I've referred to elsewhere that have made establishing multi-location management such a complicated beast.  Your situation, to begin with, had your Residences A and B logically separate in our Cloud accounting of what locations your Wemos were associated with, and what location each app instance was bound to.  However, when we detect a previously known Wemo operating on a new network, there are some assumptions we have to make about what's happened. the vast/overwhelming majority of the time, this new network is due to a router or modem replacement or the introduction of a WiFi range extender in the home.  

Internally, we assume that the new network and the previously known network(s) are all part of the same physical location, and we consolidate them into a single logical entity in our cloud (an astute reader would be reading between the lines right now and recognize an easy hack to create multi-home in the same app; I wouldn't recommend doing this on purpose because there are a ton of unhandled edge cases that will result in extremely unreliable remote discovery no matter whether you're local or not).

When you moved the Netcam from Residence A to Residence B, and the Netcam showed up on the new network, that's what happened: both residences got joined into a single homeid.  Normally not the end of the world, and may in fact have given you an experience closer to what you wanted to begin with (though I cannot stress enough how this is not a supported setup).  EXCEPT: a Wemo location only knows how to handle one Wemo Link at a time.  Having two Wemo Links on the same logical location forced your apps and you Links to make some decisions that put you REALLY quickly into those unhandled edge cases I was talking about, and it all went to hell.

OK, so how could you have prevented this from happening (or better yet, how could we have prevented it from happening)?  When moving a Wemo to a new network that you want to remain logically distinct from its former residence, you must factory reset the Wemo before relocating it. This de-registers it from the location in our Cloud so when we see it pop up on another network, we don't try to join its previous and new locations. You can only factory reset it completely from within the app.  We've got some designs on how we can make it harder to trip over this edge case, but a lot depends on our plans for identity management and our final multi-home implementation.

Now, the thing that's most important: HOW DO YOU FIX THIS?  You're going to need to contact out customer support team.  Report a problem in the app.  When they reach out to you via email, you'll provide some details on your network(s) and they'll discover what's happened and ultimately will need to unjoin your homeids.  You MIGHT not need to reset anything up, but I'm thinking the Residence A/B association for that one netcam might leave some ugly residue in our cloud associations.  If everything isn't magically working, it's possible we'll need to completely blow away all records of any homes any of your Wemos have been established with, and you might need to start over from scratch.

You should be able to get yoruself back to where you were in step 3. At that point, if you want to move any Wemo from one residence to the other, you're going to want to factory reset that Wemo before moving it to the new network.

Let me know if that works out for you or if you have any trouble getting our customer advocacy team to resolve the problem.

Our ultimate plans for the Wemo platform will make all of this so much easier.  In the meantime, let me know if there's anything I can do to help you recover.

PS: I'll pass the feedback on the motion sensor sensitivity on to the product manager for the Netcams.  I believe we've already got plans for making this more sensible, but every bit of corporation helps.

Thanks Tom,

Lots of real/psuedo developer speak in there so not entirely sure what it all meant (what does logical entity mean, is that one of my houses or a wemo link or a something else?, and seriously don't have any idea what an edge cse is), but I think that basically the shift of the Netcam joined the two residences and the app can't handle it so need to reset stuff and get the Wemo guys to unlink them....  So long as it all makes sense to you and I can get my stuff working again then great.

However......

Now when you say I can only poperly factory reset the devices from within the app that assumes that the app is still working. So after the last lot of reset attempts (just prior to submitting the earlier post) I deleted the app from all my iOS devices and now it won't open without reestablishing a connection to the REsidence B Wemo Link (which is sitting flashing amber-green-amber), but when I endeavour to that the app gets as far as "Attempting to connect to Wi-Fi, still working" and then either says "The WeMo Aop was unable to connect to 'ssid' Please try re-entering your password", or just straight out crashes. 

So, I can now neither report the problem via the app nor factory reset anything.  Might need to go with your defcon-1 option and blow everything away and start over....

Cheers

I am all for a second app as an interim solution.

I should add that I have been using Wemo for years now and initially had HUGE problems and reliability issues as people have reported.

What surprises me is that that is still being reported. For the last 6 months probably 12 months I have found it quite reliable and my remote system is relying on 3G wireless mobile connection and I have four different wemos on three different access points. WHen mine fails now it is due to netowrk issues 90% of the time not Wemo....

I must say though this multi site control is a deal breaker and must be fixed soon !

I'm also having difficulty trying to run WEMO at both my houses on different networks . It would be ideal if all my switches & camera would show up on my WEMO app but haven't figured out how to do that . I thinking I'll take back all the WEMO cameras & switches I bought for my lake house & go with another brand up there like D link or WiOn . Unless someone can tell me how to set up a 2nd app on my iPad & iPhone under a different username & password ,
Expert

Hi, TennRiverReb. For now, the Wemo app could only display all Wemo devices located in one location (Network), that's either locally or remotely. For remote access, One mobile device can only control Wemo devices on one remote location. This is currently a limitation for Wemo. So if you have Wemo devices located on a second remote location, you need to
configure them with a second mobile device locally and use it also to access the second network remotely.

There's also no username and password needed for the Wemo app. The proposed second app from Wemo to support multi-home remote access based from the beginning of this thread is still under development.

Rique - 22312
Wemo Technical Support

I understand what you are saying but I can't purchase another phone just to control WEMO at my lake house . How long will it be ( ballpark ) before the app is ready ? Thank you for responding 

Expert

Hi there, TennRiverReb. At this moment, we don't have a ballpark point yet for its release but I'm pretty sure it will be posted here as soon as we have it. 

Rique - 22312
Wemo Technical Support