WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Multiple Wemo Mini Plugs on Same Power Strip?

Can multiple WeMo mini plugs be used on the same power strip? I seem to get a solid connection for both devices and then a few hours later one of them is "not detected".

Re: Multiple Wemo Mini Plugs on Same Power Strip?

Hi, MikeH714. It could be that there's interference when both devices were plugged in that's why one of them got disconnected. You may try to plug them separately and observe if the same setback recurs. It is also not recommended to plug the Wemo Mini Switch into a surge protector/power strip since the device is designed to be used and directly connected to a wall outlet.  

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

Hi MikeH714

Good advice from moderator Dennis_B.

I have five WeMos close together on every other socket on power strips. Every other one as they are the original sized WeMo switches and they cover the adjacent socket in the UK. They all work perfectly but even though they are all within one metre of my router the signal strength they get is seldom more than 80% indicating that there is some reaction between them.

Since your connection is OK and then fades away, it's probably that there is interference on the WiFi channel. If you haven't already done so, fix your router's channel on number six. I know that's a tired old frequently-chanted mantra but it really is the very best channel even if it shows up as cluttered on a channel strength testing app.

Regards

Pete

** Always kudo people who help you and mark their reply as the solution if they resolve your problem! **

Or it's just the poor WiFi performance of the WeMo Mini as reported extensively on this forum. Note that the minis are designed so you can use two in close proximity on a standard US wall socket.  Also, there is no reason why they shouldn't be used on a power strip as long as you don't exceed the rating of the strip.

Thanks for the replies 👍🏽