WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New Firmware exposes wifi on v2 mini

Guys, what have you done with the latest firmware update?!

All devices are working normally, connected to WiFi, and functional via Wemo app and Alexa... BUT....

After updating firware today, this latest version exposes the SSID for all V2 Wemo Mini devices.

Firmware:

WeMo_WW_2.00.11143.PVT-OWRT-SNSV2

I can see all of my Wemo Mini devices when searching for WiFi networks using a laptop, iPhone, Apple Watch, etc.... they're broadcasting SSID.

Wemo.Mini.###

Power cycling does not fix the issue.

Re: New Firmware exposes wifi on v2 mini

Update....

After unplugging / re-pulgging, the SSID is broadcast again for a minute or so before finally turning off. 

These had been broadcasting for around 7 hours (time of firmware update to the time of checking WiFi SSIDs in the area.)

All better now after a power cycle and waiting.

Glad it was just the Mini devices though.  If it had been all of the other switches, I would have just thrown the main breaker to the house for a few minutes and called it a day with 15+ devices.

After a period of time the SSID will start broadcasting again. It is disconcerting to have these broadcast for no useful reason. It just give hackers a target for their mischief!

Hi, everyone. Our Product Management team is looking into this. Even though the Wemo device is broadcasting the setup SSID, it is not in setup mode. There's no security risk present for your network and Wemo device.

Reil – 22071
Wemo Technical Support

Thanks for the update.  Nice to know it's on the radar.

For what it's worth, after my last power cycle, they have not started to broadcast SSID again.

Yeah, agree on the security risk not being an issue, but it is broadcasing on bands that are potentially in use.  Please shut them down!!  No reason to broadcast if setup.  Understand need to broadcast with a new setup or a re-setup, so let them broadcast if lose power for a few minutes or a hard reset, but after setup, stop the broadcasting please!!