WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New router, WeMo app won't find switches

I've had 2 WeMo switches in my home for about a year. I recently upgraded our ISP, and consequently our modem and router. The new router would not let me use the same SSiD as the old, due to a space in the name. ("Last Name" vs "LastName") So, I reset the switches, and got them both connected to the new WiFi, I can see them connected in the Router's status page, but the app will not find either switch. I tried to connect on my phone, and my tablet. Both of which worked with these switches previously. Yes, everything is on the same SSiD connection.

Help?

Re: New router, WeMo app won't find switches

I assume that it is a dual band router? If so make sure your phone/tablet is connected to the 2.4GHz band and try again.

Hi solson440. Have you tried removing and re-installing the app on your phone & tablet? By the way, make sure both devices (phone/tablet) are connected to the 2.4 GHz network as what PhilH suggested.

Yes, nothing is connected to the 5G connection (5G and 2.4G have different SSiD's). Have not tried uninstalling the app; will try that, tonight...

As an aside, "Resetting" the switches per the instructions posted elsewhere (with the reset and WiFI buttons) did NOT reset the switches to factory; Both switches are still following rules that I set up with the old router. When setting the switches up for the new WIFi connection. The switches also retained the names I gave them through the previous WiFi connection...

Possible that this is related? Is there a way to reset them to true factory? I've done that through the app, previously, but never with the buttons...

Highlighted

@solson, try to uninstall-reinstall WeMo App first. If it will still not work, do the factory reset* procedure.

*Unplug your WeMo. Hold down the Restore button. While holding the Restore button down, plug the WeMo into a power outlet and continue to hold the button down for at least 15 seconds. Release the Restore button.  It should take about 45 seconds for the WeMo to restore and reboot.  It will blink blue and amber when finished.

I guess I should have clarified... These are WeMo Light Switches... Sorry for the omission.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the app made no difference. Incidentally, WeMo Manager can't find the light switches, either. I can clearly see the MAC addresses of both switches in my routers "Connected Devices" page. I can ping the switches. The switches are both connected to the network, and are still running the rules I set with the old router.

It could be due to a weak connection between the wireless network and the WeMo devices. Try adjusting the router's wireless channel to improve the connection. Use channel 6, 9, 11, or 1. Keep the router and the WeMo devices' firmware up to date.

I did change the router's channel due to the amount of traffic in my neighborhood. It is now on channel 8. I tried setting up a DMZ to one of the switches, and it made no difference...

I suggest that you try using the wireless channel 9. You can also do the following and see if that will work:

* Force close the app

* Clear cache data

* Uninstall and reinstall the app 

By the way, what is the current version of the WeMo app?