WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: New router, WeMo app won't find switches

NMJoe wrote:

Hi all,

We have been using five Wemo switches for over a year, with only minor issues (switches being unavailable for a few minutes on the app, daylight savings time creating several annoying issues).

When we first started out, we had Comcast Home Service for our ISP. A few months ago we changed ISPs to Century Link, no problem after making that change.

However, this last week we changed to Comcast's Business Service, as we need much higher speeds to support my wife's work. Ever since changing over to Comcast Business, we have been experiencing conditions extremely close to what is described in this thread, with a few differences.

We can't see the switches when away from our home network (on cellular), and, of course, we certainly can't see them when on our wifi.

We have no idea how we can update the firmware when we can't get the app to identify and load the switches...seems like a catch 22.

Also, we can't get the switches to fully reset. We have pushed both buttons on the switch in various combinations for various lengths of time and have even disconnected one for several days hoping it would reset. However, each time we go through the setup process, it still remembers the switches' name. Additionally, all of the previous on/off switch rules are all still operating as they were before all of this happened, but now we have no way to change them or stop them from turning the switches on/off.

We have attempted all of the suggested router setting changes suggested on this thread, and then some, with absolutely no luck. All of our other wifi home automation devices are not giving us any trouble since the ISP change, only our Wemo products.

We did just send a rather pointed email to their tech support, but we have little faith based on our previous experience with trying to correct the daylight savings time issues.

We could really use the assistance of this forum!

Thank you!

Joe

Android or IOS?  Are you connecting to Wifi router on 2.4 or 5ghz with your phones?  Are you justing using the light switches?

Sorry for not including that info.

IOS

2.4 ghz

The only Wemo devices we have are the in-wall switches (five of them).

Thank you!!

Have you tried uninstalling the WEMO app, then reinstall it?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled the app multiple times.

Have you thought of resetting one of the switches to see if you can get the Wemo app to see it for setup?  As long as SSID & password are the same it should just work but that is obviously not what you are experiencing.

Still can't find any of my wemo devices on this new router. They go through setup find but then become "invisable" to the app. I can see the MAC address on my routers list of connected devices. This is driving me crazy.

bghtom01 wrote:

Still can't find any of my wemo devices on this new router. They go through setup find but then become "invisable" to the app. I can see the MAC address on my routers list of connected devices. This is driving me crazy.

Big wide DHCP pool on router?

Are they being assigned an IP as far as you can tell?

If so, are you seeing any of the following ports 49152, 49153 or 49154 open?

Example:

http://ipaddress:49152

I have reset all the switches and uninstalled/installed the app dozens of times. I can never get to the point that the app shows the switches...it just says "searching for wemo devices" then shows a blank screen with a refresh circular arrow in the middle of the screen. If I then get out of the app and back in, it takes me to the "get started" page with a lamp + WEMO shown. I'm extremely frustrated.

So you can factory reset switch and rejoin to network but they don't show in app?  IOS or Android?  Both Cell and local Wifi (2.4Ghz) attached to same access point?

NMJoe wrote:

I have reset all the switches and uninstalled/installed the app dozens of times. I can never get to the point that the app shows the switches...it just says "searching for wemo devices" then shows a blank screen with a refresh circular arrow in the middle of the screen. If I then get out of the app and back in, it takes me to the "get started" page with a lamp + WEMO shown. I'm extremely frustrated.

we can't get the switches to fully reset. We have pushed both buttons on the switch in various combinations for various lengths of time and have even disconnected one for several days hoping it would reset. However, each time we go through the setup process, it still remembers the switches' name. Additionally, all of the previous on/off switch rules are all still operating as they were before all of this happened, but now we have no way to change them or stop them from turning the switches on/off.

As I go through the setup process in the app, the switch says that it has connected to our WiFi, then says it is identifying WeMo devices. It sits in this condition for several minutes until it has a pop up stating that is has lost connection to the WeMo network.

Then, if I'm a glutton for punishment, I repeat the process after trying various button pushes of the two small buttons under the main switch in an attempt to get the switch back into a factory condition. As I mentioned above, this exercise is fruitless.