WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New to WeMo - need help please

I just installed an Insight Switch. I have it connected to a Google WiFi router. I'm using an Android app and cannot get remote access to work when I'm not connected to my WiFi. The app shows that remote access is enabled. When I'm out of network and using a cellular connection, the app finds my WeMo but operating the switch doesn't work. Do I have to do any IP reservation and port forwarding on my router? Any help would be appreciated. I apologize for not finding this information on this forum. I found looks of questions but could not find definite answers. Thank you.

Re: New to WeMo - need help please

Hi, Weege

Just to verify, are you able to control the WeMo Insight Switch using the app while connected to your Wi-Fi? If you do, try connecting to a different Wi-Fi network and see if you are able to control the Switch. Make sure that the firmware of the switch is up to date.

Meanwhile, may we know the LED behaviour of the Insight Switch? What is the current version of the WeMo app on your handheld?

Jan - 22019
WEMO Technical Support

Yes, when it's connected to my WiFi I am able to control the switch. I can turn it on or off once, then the device disappears from the app window and I have to close and open the app again. But doing so, I can operate the switch every time when connected to my WiFi. I'm assuming the app is up to date as I just downloaded it; it's version 1.19.1. BUT, I likely have outdated firmware as I've owned this switch for a long time but only set it up recently. My app says firmware version is WeMo_WW_2.00.3007.PVT. How do I update it? The LED is steady green when switch is on, and unlit when off.

Thank you very much for the support.

[ Edited ]

@Weege Here's the link on how to check for fimware updates: http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=27353

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support

Thank you for continuing to reply. I must have the latest firmware, perhaps I updated a couple of weeks ago when I did my initial setup, I don't get any prompts to update now. What else can I do to try and get remote function to work? Again I'm using a Google WiFi router and all works well within the network, but outside of it.

Please try using another smartphone and see if the same thing happens, Weege. Our Escalation Engineers are more than willing to look into this further.  Just send us an email at WemoCares@Belkin.com with your username, the link to this post, your data connection service provider, the model and OS of the phone(s) used, and your contact details (name, city/state, and phone number) so that we can create a case and tap an engineer for you. Thanks.

Reil – 22071
Wemo Technical Support