WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Newsflash: FW xx_7166. Update at 11. Maybe....

[ Edited ]

What a friggen disaster. Should have known better than to accept the "Update" prompt. So here goes:

I start the app on my iPad and am told there is a FW update. Sure.. go for it..

Off it goes and installs the update. I checked the "Setting/Firmware" pages about 30-45 minutes later and 11 out of my 13 devices have updated to the new FW. There is no indication/error messages stating what if anything went down with the 2 (Insights) that did not update. Oh well, these 2 Insights havent worked well on the iPad since iOs 8 and App v1.9 anyways. Everything else was working fine.

A few minutes later the fun began. Up pops this message that there was new FW and I should update. I am guessing this prompted by the insights that still had the old FW. Ok, why not, go for it. To my dismay I see that ALL my devices are going through the update process once again. Some state "Installing FW" other state "Downloading FW" while other say "Downloading FW in x minutes". This went on for well over one hour with only 3 out of 13 ever completing. Checking the FW versions under "Setting/Firmware" I noticed that all but three of my devices showed the old version number. Only 3 devices appeared to have the latest FW installation complted. After two hours of watching devices go "Undetected" than back online and constant "Downloading,installing FW" but never finishing I forced the iPad app closed.

Later that evening I opened up my trusted Android app and was prompted once again about the FW update. Go for it, nothing left to lose. This morning all but the 2 Insights have the new FW and there are no further prompts within either iPad or Android app. 

Moral of the story: If you have updated the FW and are prompted once again to update, ignore the prompt. Confirm that all the devices have the latest FW installed ("Settings/Firmare") . If not, disconnected (take offline) those devices that have the latest FW before proceeding with the second attempt to update FW.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: Newsflash: FW xx_7166. Update at 11. Maybe....

I had a similar experience where I was getting prompted each time I opened the iOS app to udpate firmeware.  One of my Insight switches hung on updated for way too long.  Eventually I killed the iOS app and the problem went away.  The Insight reported it was on the current version and I haven't been prompted again since.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Me too, and now i have connectivity issues!

This firmware was the worst, I now have device that are not available, and inconsistant. I'm so angry at the bull**bleep**.

It has always been my standard to update the device's firmware only if there are problems with it. As the saying goes, "Don't fix it if it's not broken".

I have the exact same problem. My insight switches will not update and they won't stay on-line with the app. It sucks that they can't get this right. I bought too many of these things to just throw them away.

I have 8 Wemos, and about a half hour ago (6:20pm pacific) I went into the app and was tolde there was a firmware update and all the wemos updated to 6395. Then I was told there was another update, and all attempted 7166, app showed it as installed on 3 of them with the 7166 version showing up in the verware versions list, then they all updated again, back to 6395! Now everything is stable, all are back at 6395 and I'm not getting a new firmware available message any longer. Something funky goin' on!

[ Edited ]

Try adjusting the wireless channel of your router to 6. Reset and reconfigure the WeMos after successfully updating the firmware. Remove and reinstall the app as well.

[ Edited ]
Yesterday I updated 4off switches and sensors to 7166 but my 2off Insights only went to the previous version with no warnings of updates being available. Detection of the Insights by the latest iOS App was very intermittent. Today I reconnected a light switch into my system and was warned of a firmware update. After doing so, it and the Insights were at firmware version 7166. The intermittent detection of the Insight switches has gone away!

As stated above, 11 of my 13 devices updated to the new FW "succesfully" earlier this week. Last night I once again received a notice of FW update. I assumed this was because the 2 remaining (Insights) were still running the old FW. This time, to avoid the problems I decribed above I disconnected all my devices except the Insights. Only then did my Insights get update. The problem with the iPad intermittent connection of the Insights remains. Each time I reload the app, both are undetected. A "refresh" and all is well. The android app does not have this problem (before or after update)

Highlighted
WEMO Maker Inventor

The same happened with my Android App. A second round of firmware updates appeared after the first which I assumed was for the Insights that didn't get updated. Now the Insights are showing off-line but I don't know if they actually are updated or not.

Smiley Wink Please remember to Kudo those that help you.

Belkin
Communities Technical Support