WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Not ready for prime time

[ Edited ]

I've been lurking here for a while and want to post my issues in hopes they get fixed some day. I've tried several approaches to home automation, starting years ago with X-10, and WEMO looked promising.

But it isn't delivering on that promise. It is just too unreliable. 

So far my WEMO switches randomly turn off, disappear from the iOS app, or refuse to respond even if they do appear in the app. If I leave them alone and do not maually access them via WiFi or cell, they can work reliably for a few days, but this is a severe limitation -- basically, don't use any of the features if you want the product to work.

I do not plan to return the products (though I've been tempted) and will use them in non-critical applications, but they are not ready for prime time and my search for reliable home automation continues.

Oh, and please spare me the boilerplate reboot, re-install replies: I've done all that a million times. Sometimes these drastic measures fix the problem -- for a few days.

-dan

Two WEMO outlet swtiches, iOS app on iPhone & iPad, 2.4gHz wifi

Re: Not ready for prime time

Sorry to hear things didn't work out for you. I too am long term X10 user. I've had good luck with the Wemo devices but I am managing them most of the time outside of the Wemo app.

My wemos work through the regular app, but ouimeaux can't discover them. Linux just sends out the broadcast, and... nothing.

Interesting... are Wemos on a different subnet from your Linux box? I run two production installs of it off of Raspberry Pis as well as a couple OS X installs. I haven't run into any discovery issues so far. I have placed my Wifi router on a fixed channel and run DHCP reservation on all of my Wemos.

I found my problem was SE Linux.   Firewall was rejecting packets from even leaving my Linux box.  

Unfortunately, in my debugging process I disabled all my security settings on my router, and in the time my router was unsecured I detected an intrusion.   Go figure.

@danham Since you've already exhausted all possible steps, contact their tech support so they can have a second level tech look into it. Or have it replaced. That is, if it's still in warranty.

RedOctober wrote:

@danham Since you've already exhausted all possible steps, contact their tech support so they can have a second level tech look into it. Or have it replaced. That is, if it's still in warranty.

Thanks for the suggestion. My guess, based on reading this forum, is that the problem lies mostly with the iOS app and/or Belkin's servers. Sending back my switches under warranty obviously will not fix those issues. 

The other most likely suspect is WiFi interference or weak signal, but I have tested for that by placing the switches within a dozen feet of my gateway/router and have reserved fixed IP addresses for the switches. No joy.

It's hard to reproduce the errors -- they seem quite random -- but one pattern that appears to be in play is that soon after I access a switch remotely over the cell network, it is likely to disappear from the iOS app when subsequently connected with my home WiFi network. If I access one switch remotely in this fashion, and do not acces the other one, only the one I accessed will drop out of the iOS app.

-dan

Just a workaround but one way to trick to app in thinking it needs to use cloud server is to connect to a different WAP in your network that isn't registered to the Wemos. I think some have said it has to be at 5Ghz but I believe I have experienced it using a WAP at 2.4Ghz.

danham: You can see wireless strength of switches by going to --> More --> Tell Us What You Think --> Report a Problem

This will generate an email that you can send to support or yourself. The field after firmware version is wifi strength 0-100.

Bilim35CI7 wrote:
danham: You can see wireless strength of switches by going to --> More --> Tell Us What You Think --> Report a Problem

This will generate an email that you can send to support or yourself. The field after firmware version is wifi strength 0-100.

Thank you, that is very useful. My upstairs switch shows signal strenth of 100, and while it has been more reliable than my downstairs switch (signal = 34), it has at times dropped out of the app too.

Next time either drops out I will immediately check WiFI signal strength.

But a question: how would weak WiFi cause random shut-offs? I wonder if the "Away" rule is somehow being activated by itself?

-dan