WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: OSRAM Bulbs Firmware Update

Is there no one at all responsible for this product line other than the support team?  Is there no further development taking place?

Someone with product line or customer satisfaction responsibility really needs to get back to us.

If not, the next obvious escalation path is to the press where they may be interested to hear about your product strategy (there appears to be none), your treatment of customers at end of life (wemo link and wemo baby, and soon to be the entire wemo line?), and the issues with your lack of cloud security - where strangers can control other peoples devices in your cloud that you struggle to keep clean.

The press? You are too kind. I’m about ready to file with the the FTC for computer fraud and request the Attorney General issue an immediate injunction prohibiting the sale of WeMo products in the entire United States.

Belkin. Speak. Or forever hold your peace.
WEMO Maker Inventor

airmandan wrote:
The press? You are too kind. I’m about ready to file with the the FTC for computer fraud and request the Attorney General issue an immediate injunction prohibiting the sale of WeMo products in the entire United States.

Belkin. Speak. Or forever hold your peace.

That would be fitting Smiley Happy.

I've moved all but my wemo and osram zigbee devices onto my hue bridge which so far is much more reliable (and now supported by AutomationManager).

So that leaves 2 wemo bulbs, 2 osram bulbs, and an osram garden strip that won't stay connected for longer than 5 minutes at a time.  So like $300 of worthless and according to belkin obsolete equipment.  All less than 2 years old.

I don't know how to file a complaint with the FTC but I'd certainly join a class action suit.

In the mean time I'm getting into contact with CNET - they seem to enjoy publishing stories about the perils of IoT.  I'll pass along this thread, the ongoing saga of "Someone elses devices showing in my WeMo App! Help!" which I find particularly scary, and the fact that they are yet to update the wemo firmware to protect us against the KRACK exploit.

Highlighted

WEMO Maker Inventor

Looks like that's for fraud complaints. 

I'm going to exercise my rights to a refund under the "fit for purpose" act.

I've contacted the Wemo press office and they did not respond.  Next step is to contact CNET and ZDNET to see if they're interested in the IoT and cloud security issues that plague Belkin/Wemo - I imagine they will be, they run stories about it every so often.

What surprises me is that with all of this complaining not once has anyone in the belkin customer satisfaction department tried to contact us to help.

Belkin does not have a customer satisfaction department, nor do they have a quality assurance department, nor a product development department nor a technical support department. They have a marketing department and an accounting/finance department. Product development, support, and QA is entirely outsourced. Who those outsourced vendors are changes on the whims of the finance department.

I believe the entire platform to be a fraud. Even now, on the marketing literature for a Dimmer, the website advertises features that the dimmer **does not have** and **can not do**. Not a single Belkin employee has ever looked at, touched, or interacted with this forum or anyone on it.

Look at the HTTP user agent that WeMo devices use. It’s like “GarageWeb” or something to that effect. They found a free Restful SDK, got the cheapest Chinese PCB they could find, and paid an Indian development group maybe $4,000 to slap together the app, and from the UX side of things, a *different* development group to hodgepodge the middleware to the point where marketing gave it the greenlight for production. Cost per unit on these things can’t be more than a dollar.

Belkin has never been known for producing quality products. They were always the vendor that was so cheap the quality was irrelevant. Cables, KVMs, docking stations, adapters, whatever. It was cheap crap, but the fact that it was crap was fine because it was cheap.

Belkin erred trying to position WeMo as a premium product. $79 for a light switch that no one can set up? $100 for a Zigbee Hub quickly abandoned? An app that lets you peep through the cameras in other people’s homes? It is unconscionable and far beyond the pale to expect consumers to sit idly by and put up with this total lack of follow-through.

The ridiculous part is it never had to be like this. TP-Link switches use the same exact crummy internal hardware as the WeMo ones. But their app *works* and their developers actively push firmware fixes to mitigate problems with the hardware. And the equipment is cheaper!

You know why the HomeKit bridge has been so delayed? The developer of homebridge-platform-WeMo on GitHub hasn’t fully implemented support of the dimmer yet. It’s just on/off right now. I can almost guarantee they’re waiting to update their master image until some else develops the functionality they need for free. Then it’ll get installed on an RPi enclosed in a WeMo brand box and sold for $100.