WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Anonymous

OSRAM Bulbs Firmware Update

So how do the OSRAM Bulbs get a Firmware Update? Do they get it from the WEMO Cloud or from a 3rd party server?

Re: OSRAM Bulbs Firmware Update

I think the firmware is probably from OSRAM but the update process is done through the WEMO app. 

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=156307

Anonymous

Thank you. 

Is there any way we can get the list of most recent firmware versions for the OSRAM Lightify Bulbs?

Osram has a contact email support. You can go to this website to ask for the firmware list: http://www.sylvania.com/en-us/mysylvania/_layouts/FormServer.aspx?XsnLocation=/en-us/mysylvania/WebF...

You can also email them at lightbulb@sylvania.com. 

WEMO Maker Inventor

Yes this post is more than 2 years old.

BUT, I found it when was googling to find out the latest OSRAM bulb firmware levels.  It seems OSRAM has released it but belkin has not yet provided it to us.

My osram bulbs are the most unstable and would probably benefit from the latest.

Pinyapple, who is a belkin support person, answered this:

I think the firmware is probably from OSRAM but the update process is done through the WEMO app. 

http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=156307

I'm trying not to comment on another support response from andot0526 who tells the asker to check with OSRAM when it's clear that belkin's team should be responsible for maintaining the bulb firmeare since we can't upgrade on our own.  But see, I've failed.

So belkin - what do I do?  I bought the link and the osram bulbs on your recommendation.  You've discontinued the product with no migration path.  If I buy an osram link to update the bulbs will you compensate me for it?  Or will you refund my wemo link and bulb purchases?

Speaking of maintenance, will the link get new firmware to protect us from the Krack exploit soon?

[ Edited ]

The Osram Link is identical to the WeMo Link from a hardware standpoint, the only difference is Sylvania didn’t deliberately cripple their Link by restricting it to a white list of five products via an app lockdown.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Yep, that and the osram link will update the osram bulb firmware.

But the belkin link will not update any firmware from what I can tell.

@Belkin, will you respond?  While you might no longer be selling the Wemo Link, you certainly have a responsibility to maintain it - to update it's firmware (a Krack exploit fix) and the firmware of the bulbs it supports.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Hello?  Belkin?  Are you still in business?  Do you still support your products?

I would appreciate an answer on how I should update the firmware in my Osram bulbs.  You remember, the ones I bought to work with my wemo link as per your recommendations before you decided to discontinue it with no support.

If there is no plan to support this, when can I expect you to send me a osram link as a replacement, or a cheque to cover my purchase?

I hope you're not planning to let it die like you did with the wemo baby monitor.  Surely you learned something from the unheard cries from all of those unmonitored babies.

I, too, would like an answer or an Osram link.
WEMO Maker Inventor

Come on Belkin support, this really isn't such a hard question.  If you don't know the answer, ask your team lead or manager.  If your manager doesn't know, ask the Product Manager.  He/she MUST know, it's their job.

If there is no longer a Product Manager (which would speak volumes in itself!) get the Development Director to explain the product end of life strategy.  If there isn't one of those either (which speaks even louder!), then the VP or the GM should publish a product direction update to release us from purgatory.

Get someone in authority to explain the plan and perhaps negotiate an arrangement.  If it really is end of life you could unlock the devices and publish the firmware as open source - let the community take it over.