WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Phillips Hue, WeMo LIght Switch and IFTTT

Hello,

I have a set of Phillips Hue bulbs, I was thinking of getting a WeMo light switch to control them with IFTTT.

The place where I would put the switch is where the switch currently is to turn on the celing fixture with the Hue bulbs.

The thing I don't understand, and was not able to determine from googling is: is it possible to program the WeMo light switch to NOT cut the power to my lamp when I press the physical button, but just do my programmed action from IFTTT. Because I want the power to always be on to the bulbs, since they can be switched off programmatically and on again.

And in the case of there being no wifi connectivity, to revert to physically turning the lamp on and off, but that's a bonus.

Re: Phillips Hue, WeMo LIght Switch and IFTTT

I haven't tried this but I guess it's not possible. I believe when you physically turn Off the WEMO Light Switch, it will shut the unit down. 

Thank you, that's what I thought as well.

I will then use a Hue Tap device and a light switch lock to have a physical switch for my Hue bulbs.

Highlighted

Alrighty! :-)

WEMO Maker Inventor

It's an odd investment of $40, but you could simply hook up the wemo switch to power and neutral - don't run the fan load through it (tie the black wires together with hot).  Leave the physical switch in place too, or wire straight through.

A more versitile solution might be a low end tablet: http://community.wemothat.com/t5/WEMO-Ideas/Wireless-Keypad-for-Local-Use/idc-p/6950#M762

I'm sorry I don't really understand electrical stuff very well.

You are saying I can wire the switch such that it gets power but doesn't actually turn off the lamp? I'll read up on this.

I don't want to use a tablet really because it's not just for me, I just want to have something as close to a physical light switch as possible.

Do you think I should do this wiring with a WEMO, or I should a switch lock like this:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NCV1SK/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A26APNE7RRC18V

and a Hue Tap device:

http://smile.amazon.com/Philips-452532-Personal-Wireless-Frustration/dp/B00ME9CD28/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=h...

to place next to the switch plate instead? The advantage of this is of course no electrical wiring needed, but a WEMO switch would be more elegant and would be less clutter. The cost is about the same for both solutions.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Doesn't really matter functionally both will do the same thing. Style is not my forte...

Personally I think IFTTT for anything real time like light switches or motion sensors doesn't make sense - too slow.

What if I use a WeMo python library and a Hue python library to tie these together rather than IFTTT on my computer. Would this be faster and more reasonable than IFTTT for a light switch?

WEMO Maker Inventor

In my opinion, absolutely. Of course I have a personal bias to using WemoManager instead Smiley Happy.

I like the 'hopefully' easier solution with the Tap, but I can't get my wemo link to recognize it and also can't get the hue hub to recognize the osram lights that came with the wemo link.

Has anyone gotten these two zigbee products to talk to each other?