WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
WEMO Maker Inventor

Question about a unique Insight use...

....sooo I run a 300 watt solar panel array on my roof that's fed to a grid tie inverter...feeding the generated power into my grid.  

I run a kill-a-watt meter between the inverter and the wall outlet to let me know how many watts I'm generating.  

However using one of my Wemo Insights in the kill-a-watt's place would be excellent...would be able to see, store, and create databases of my generated power via my phone, tablet, etc...

I'd also be able to turn of the outlet overnight to save the GTI from using the small amount of power

Since the Insight (and Wemo in general) have unique tech specs, I'm curious if this would be fine, or would it have any problems with measuring the flow into the outlet.

Tre'

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: Question about a unique Insight use...

Great question!!!

I checked with Belkin support and they confirm that it is bi-directional! Sweet, I'm going to have to try this.

-G
WEMO Maker Inventor

Awesome!

Thanks for the check!

Will try it today and post back!

Tré

I tried exactly that with my wemo insight switch and it will not pick up the gridtie inverter generation.  I even went so far as building cords to reverse the direction of the sensor and no dice.   - my 2 cents

WEMO Maker Inventor

Did you have a load on the Insight?

-G
Highlighted

[ Edited ]

I had gridtie inverters running all day and I have another sensor called an Enerati sensor which showed that I consistently put out power all day.  But when I looked at what the WeMo sensor did which sat on top of the Enerati Sensor it did not pick it up.  It shows 0 on the exported reports too.  GTI -> WeMo -> Enerati -> House in that order of power movement.

Latest FirmWare - WsMO_WW_2.00.7166.PVT

WEMO Maker Inventor

Thank you for the post. I'm sad to hear this though. 

-G

Yeah me too I was hoping it was bi-directional and was just an Am-Meter inside of it picking up the power regardless of which way it flowed.  Turns out that is not the case.  I can post pictures of my setup if you want?  I wonder if that is a software limitation or hardware?  Maybe the software can be tweaked to do it?

WEMO Maker Inventor

I would enjoy looking at pictures of your setup. 

-G