WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Remote Access not working

[ Edited ]

I've had two Belkin Wemo Switches (the old, big ones) for years now that seemed to work fine. Upgraded router recently and now I can't seem to access them remotely at all. They work completely fine locally but i can never enable REMOTE ACCESS because it keeps saying:

"Sorry, we were unable to setup your remote access just now. To try later, go to More > Remote Access"

Both switches are:

- Product type "Switch" and Hardware Version v1.

- running Firmware version WeMo_WW_2.00.11057.PVT-OWRT-SNS

My router:

- TP-Link Archer AC1750 running dual band 5.0ghz and 2.4ghz (with UNIQUE SSIDs so they're not the same name)

- UPNP enabled

My phone:

iPhone 6s on iOS 11.1.2

Wemo App version 1.19.1 (491000)

- Also tried on my iPad with same failure message

Obviously I connect the switches to the 2.4ghz SSID (which is set to WPA2 security, channel 11). Both products are then listed inside the Wemo App and I can turn them off and on. But gives the aforementioned error whenever I try to enable Remote Access.

I've tried both resetting the Switches inside the app (Erase All Content and Settings) and also HARD RESETTING the devices (hold the restore button on the Switch, plug it in and hold for a few seconds after light blinks amber and release, allowing time for it to restore and start blinking blue/amber)

I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Wemo IOS app over and over.

I make sure that during the setup process in the app, I connect to the 2.4ghz SSID on my phone and not the 5ghz SSID.

During the setup process in the App, I can see it saying "Connected to [SSID NAME], trying to discover Wemo devices on network" or something like that but it just sits there forever and fails at setting up REMOTE ACCESS.

I can only conclude that when I tried to set these Switches up again, I deleted them from the iOS app WITHOUT first removing REMOTE ACCESS when it worked before. Does this mean I have some old REMOTE ACCESS data thats stored on WEMO SERVERS that I can't clear out? Cause I can't see what else it could be still.

Re: Remote Access not working

Hi, iblastoff.

We are aware of this recurring issue and is currently working on its fix. We'd like to escalate your case to our 2nd Level Support Team for further diagnosis. Please email us at WemoCares@belkin.com along with your full name, phone number, location, and link to this thread.

Pamela - 21733
WEMO Technical Support

@iblastoff wrote:

I've had two Belkin Wemo Switches (the old, big ones) for years now that seemed to work fine. Upgraded router recently and now I can't seem to access them remotely at all. They work completely fine locally but i can never enable REMOTE ACCESS because it keeps saying:

"Sorry, we were unable to setup your remote access just now. To try later, go to More > Remote Access"

Both switches are:

- Product type "Switch" and Hardware Version v1.

- running Firmware version WeMo_WW_2.00.11057.PVT-OWRT-SNS

My router:

- TP-Link Archer AC1750 running dual band 5.0ghz and 2.4ghz (with UNIQUE SSIDs so they're not the same name)

- UPNP enabled

My phone:

iPhone 6s on iOS 11.1.2

Wemo App version 1.19.1 (491000)

- Also tried on my iPad with same failure message

Obviously I connect the switches to the 2.4ghz SSID (which is set to WPA2 security, channel 11). Both products are then listed inside the Wemo App and I can turn them off and on. But gives the aforementioned error whenever I try to enable Remote Access.

I've tried both resetting the Switches inside the app (Erase All Content and Settings) and also HARD RESETTING the devices (hold the restore button on the Switch, plug it in and hold for a few seconds after light blinks amber and release, allowing time for it to restore and start blinking blue/amber)

I've also tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Wemo IOS app over and over.

I make sure that during the setup process in the app, I connect to the 2.4ghz SSID on my phone and not the 5ghz SSID.

During the setup process in the App, I can see it saying "Connected to [SSID NAME], trying to discover Wemo devices on network" or something like that but it just sits there forever and fails at setting up REMOTE ACCESS.

I can only conclude that when I tried to set these Switches up again, I deleted them from the iOS app WITHOUT first removing REMOTE ACCESS when it worked before. Does this mean I have some old REMOTE ACCESS data thats stored on WEMO SERVERS that I can't clear out? Cause I can't see what else it could be still.

Having the same issue.  Had to replace a router today.  After many attempts to get the Dimmer back online it finally setup but cannot enable remote access (same as above) and thus cannot control with Amazon Echo Alexa.  It was working fine for months prior to the change.  How do I fix this?

Asus RT-AC86U router

iPhone 8 ios 11.3.1

App 1.19.1

Firmware 2.00.11060

Hi, DaDD,

Please try the following workarounds:
- Reboot WeMo device
- Force close the app
- Uninstall then reinstall the app

If the issues still persist, please send us an email to WemoCares@belkin.com along with your contact details (full name, phone number, and location), username, and the link to this thread.

Jan - 22019
WEMO Technical Support

I’ve just replaced my router and extender w/ an Orbi RBR 50 pair. It can see all my Belkin devices — 3 switches, a camera and a plug — and the Wemo app can as well. But I can’t set remote access. It worked reasonably well before the change of router, but now it does not. I get the same error everybody else has been reporting here. I’ve done all the steps you recommended and it has never once worked. This is very disappointing and disheartening. Please help me.

[ Edited ]

Hey there, Rickadair. Please shoot us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com so that our escalation engineers can assist you. Please include your complete name, location-city/state, phone number, community username and a link to this thread for our reference.

Rosalyn - 21986
Wemo Technical Support

@Jan_B wrote:

Hi, DaDD,

Please try the following workarounds:
- Reboot WeMo device
- Force close the app
- Uninstall then reinstall the app

If the issues still persist, please send us an email to WemoCares@belkin.com along with your contact details (full name, phone number, and location), username, and the link to this thread.

I did all that and it didn't help.  In fact after doing it, I couldn't get through the setup.  It would fail continuously.  The problem seem to be that the iphone would connect to the wemo wifi and then the dimmer could find my wifi but then setup would fail.  Or it would find my wifi and then fail when connecting after the password. I tried over 20 times and then it finally connected and had remote enabled but showed two devices enabled.  I ended up with a duplicate device in the Alexa app which I deleted.  Setup and working as it did in the past.  The initial setup months ago went quickly and without problems.  Something's obviously changed with the device since then?

I have the same problem after Mediacom changed my router

Hi, @Benrubin. Do you mean to say that you can’t enable the Remote Access on Wemo App? If yes, then you may follow the workarounds provided by Jan_B. This link may also help you on how to reconnect your Wemo devices after changing router.

Elyza – 22075
WEMO Technical Support

I also experience this problem.  Remote access does not work on my 3 mini plugs.  They are displayed as "Not Detected" in the device list when I connect via cellular connection.  When I enable wifi, the plugs are detected.  I have tried to uninstall and reinstall the app, but that did not help anything.  This needs to be fixed ASAP given the impact to your customers.