WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Remote access and smart switch

I could not find a post about this. When I am at home connected to my wifi, when I manually turn on my light switch, the little power button on the app lights up to show me that the switch is powered on. When I am away from home, if someone turns on the switch, the power button next the light switch on the app is not lighting up to tell me that it had been turned on. I am at home and turned off my wifi and went to the mobile connection and when I turn on the switch it is not notifying me that it is turned on Is there something simple that i am missing? Thanks

Re: Remote access and smart switch

Hi bigdaddy4. Please check if the Wemo app’s Remote Access is enabled. To enable it, make sure that your handheld device is connected to the same (2.4 GHz) network as the Wemo Light Switch, then follow this guide on how.

Kyla_S 22383
WEMO Technical Support

Silly question but does remote access mean I can control the devices outside of the house? I have WiFi at work but the app always says it is connected to my home network.

Just read the instructions to enable remote access and it doesn't look like WeMo is designed to completely control devices outside of the home. I installed a switch for a light that my family leaves on all the time. I was hoping that the app would tell me if it was turned on even when I am out of the home. For now, I am setting up some rules to have the light turn off after being left on

@bigdaddy4

You'll need your WEMO Light Switch online by keeping it connected to your Wi-Fi so you can still access/control your device through Remote Access or when you're on your mobile/cellular data and also have your rules active. The WEMO App does not notify when it is On/Off. You may try creating a trigger or use IFTTT to send you a notification when the Light Switch is On/Off. Hope this helps.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

Thank you for the suggestions. I set some rules but will give the IFTTT app a shot. How do I Mark this post as complete?

@bigdaddy4

Hi there! You can click on the "Accept as Solution" button to do so. 

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support