WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Rules Overlap w/Time of Use Rate Plan

I have an electric vehicle (ev) and signed up for my power company’s ev Time of Use (TOU) pilot program rate plan so I could charge my ev during the much cheaper rate times. My family has also adjusted their electricity usage somewhat as well to take advantage of the cheaper rates. The TOU plan has Summer and Winter schedules but for purposes of this question, here’s the Winter schedule:

0800-1000 is $0.34/kWh
1000-1500 is $0.03/kWh
1500-2100 is $0.34/kWh
2100-0800 is $0.03/kWh
Weekends and holidays are $0.03/kWh

We live in Utah and I have an old, portable 1000 watt baseboard heater (bh). I thought maybe I could run the bh during the cheap hours, reducing the amount of time my furnace would run during those same hours and possibly saving money on the gas the furnace would otherwise use. Last Wednesday, I set up my WEMO WiFi Smart Plug rules per the TOU schedule. Everything was going great until Saturday morning when I noticed the bh was not on. The weekend rule said it was “Currently Active” but the WEMO was not on and the power button in the app was grayed out. I tapped the button and the WEMO activated but I became concerned there was an issue with my rules. I noticed the Friday late evening and Monday early morning rules overlap with the weekend rules. Could that be the problem? Do I need to set the Friday rule to go up to 11:59 pm and set the Saturday weekend rule to start at 12:00 am and do similar rules for the Sunday evening/Monday morning transition? Thank you!

Re: Rules Overlap w/Time of Use Rate Plan

Hello Wolverine. You may want to check out this link on how to setup the Usage alert rule/s on your Wemo Insight Device. To ensure the reliability of the alert, make sure to have your device/s set on the same timezone for them to work in sync with each other. Update us with your progress after.

Mark-22022
Wemo Technical Support

Hi Mark and thanks for the reply. I do not have a Wemo Insight Smart Plug. I have a single Wemo Mini Smart Plug that is turning my baseboard heater on and off.

@Wolverine wrote:
Hi Mark and thanks for the reply. I do not have a Wemo Insight Smart Plug. I have a single Wemo Mini Smart Plug that is turning my baseboard heater on and off.

We do apologize for the overlook, Wolverine. We'd like to verify how many Wemo devices you have, and how many rules you created. The scheduled rule you saved on the Wemo device may overlap on another rule you have created. For isolation, let's try to delete the scheduled rule and force close the app. Try to launch the app again, and make sure that the Wemo device is working propery. Afterwards, you may try to re-create the same rule you've made, and observe if that'll make any changes. Hope this helps.

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support