WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Strange devices in app and rules dissappeared

For several months now I have had strange/unknown devices that show up in my Wemo app.  They are not in my house, and not on my network (I've verified this on my router).  Usually i just click on them, the Wemo app says they are unresponsive, and offers me the option to hide them (which I do).  A few days later, they come back.

Well, a couple days back we came home and our front porch lights weren't on as they should be.  I logged into my Wemo app, and found that NONE of my rules were there, and there were a bunch of rules I had never heard of.  So I deleted all of those, and recreated all of mine.

A few of my rules are tied to sunrise/sunset, and I noticed that when I selected sunrise, the time was way off.  So I checked my location in the app, and it had a city that I haven't lived in for 14 years.

I'm at a loss on what to do here.  Why would my rules all dissapear?  Why do devices/names I've never had nor are on my network keep showing up in my app.  Why would my location in my app change?  

Re: Strange devices in app and rules dissappeared

Hi bjmiga,

May we know the model number of your Wemo devices and version of the Wemo app and OS? Please provide us with a screenshot of the strange devices and rules for us to take a better look at it. Meanwhile, please try to uninstall then reinstall the Wemo app on your mobile device and reboot or power cycle your mobile device to see if the issue will reoccur. 

Jan - 22019
WEMO Technical Support

Wemo devices are a mix of switches and plugs.  I have a screenshot below and circled the devices that are showing in my app right now that aren't mine.  I'm on App version 1.2, iOS12 (had the same issues on iOS11) on an iPhone7.  I've already done app reinstall and power cycling of my phone.  I unfortunately didn't take a screenshot when my rules were all gone, and have those recreated already.  As I said in my first post, the strange devices have been showing up for months now.

Another interesting point - when I am on cellular data, I can actually toggle on/off the 4 devices that aren't mine. (the app responds with the green highlighted circle).  When I try this on my home wifi, it ususally says the device isn't responding and asks if I want to hide it.

Wemo.JPG

Heres more specific device info:

Basement - MAC: 94103E49E788, Serial: 221503K130083A

Christmas lights - MAC: 149182CFFA80, Serial: 221624K01014B0

kitchen lites - MAC: 94103E49C04C, Serial: 221501K1300562

Outside Garage Lights - MAC: 94103E49C1AC, Serial: 221501K13005BA

None of these are mine.

@bjmiga,

We'd like to endorse your case to our Escalation Engineers to further investigate the issue. Please send us an email at Wemocares@belkin.com with the following details and the link to this community thread for reference.

• Full name
  • Phone number
Jan - 22019
WEMO Technical Support

Email sent.  Thanks.

Highlighted

Hi bjmiga,

WeMo has had a critical security flaw in their infrastructure for four years now that they have refused to acknowledge or fix. Long story short: their system can’t keep accounts separate. You can see and control other people’s devices, and they can see and control yours.

It will take you at least two weeks of back and forth with Level 2 who will ask you to uninstall and reinstall and try different phones and reset your wemos but the problem won’t be solved, before they send you to their “Continuing Engineer” Level 3, who can at least do more than read from a script. It will be two weeks beyond that before they clean up your account. And there’s no guarantee it will stay fixed.

Your only real option is to abandon the platform entirely. The good news for you is that Belkin has done that already!
WEMO Maker Inventor

You could also try one of the automation apps (like mine for one) that lets you block the wemos from reaching or being reached from the internet using your router firewall.  Then your wemos are safe - the automation app accesses them locally and you can control it remotely.

I find it offensive that these manufactures believe the best way to do *home* automation is to delegate you to their cloud servers, using an account that you don't own and can't see. And then they don't even protect your account properly - too many folks have devices bleeding through to other accounts, and unexplained state changes.  So much for safety/security.  Home automation should *stay* at home.