WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
RGS

Too many devices shown in Remote Access App

I too am having the same problem as the user in this post:  https://community.wemo.com/t5/WEMO-Application/Too-many-devices-shown-in-Remote-Access-App/m-p/43770...

I believe that it's worse in my case:

1. My new iPhone does not show up on the list of devices that have remote access.

2. Another user's phones and devices appear on my app when remote access is enabled.

3. If I logout, occasionally another user's wifi name self populates on my app.

Clearly my data has been combined with another user in the WeMo database which is a big security risk since I could allow them access to remotely control my WeMo switches, plugs, and makers. It makes me wonder if my iPhone is included in their list of remote access devices.

I need help correcting this.

Thanks

Re: Too many devices shown in Remote Access App

Hi, RGS. In regards to this matter, your data is not combined with another users or so. It could be just a bug on the app. Were you able to uninstall and reinstall the app? Make sure it is running on its latest version. Hope this helps.  

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

@wrote:

Hi, RGS. In regards to this matter, your data is not combined with another users or so. It could be just a bug on the app. Were you able to uninstall and reinstall the app? Make sure it is running on its latest version. Hope this helps.  

Well that's just BS.  There are many reports in this community of devices being leaked across accounts.  And of wemos turning off and on mysteriously (which is probably someone changing someone else's devices).

It's a bug in your cloud security.  Refusing to admit that doesn't make it untrue.  You folks at belkin really need to get your act together before something serious happens and there's a lawsuit.

@RGS,

Please send us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com so we can have our Support Team check on your case for further diagnosis. Please include providing us your full name, phone number, location, email address, community username, and the link to this post for reference.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support
RGS

Thank you for your replies.

Let me start by saying that I am "all in" with Wemo devices and have no intention of changing to another brand. I currently have 5 Light Switches, 2 Insights, 1 Bridge, and 2 Makers active. I have 1 Dimmer, 1 Light Switch, and 3 Minis that I haven’t installed and made active yet. I also have an additional 11 Insights in storage that I use for Christmas decorations. If my math is correct, that is 26 Wemo devices that I have purchased over the last 3 years.

I know that my problem is not unique to me because I have read similar posts. When I enable Remote Access on my iPhone, 3 of the devices listed of the 9 on my list of devices that can be used for Remote Access are not mine and have never been devices used by me or given access to my WiFi network or Wemo app. The name of a WiFi network populates my app occasionally and it is a name I have never used and since I am geographically isolated, it is not the name of a WiFi network of one of my neighbors. In addition, 2 Insights occasionally are added to my list of Devices when Remote Access is enabled… "Water Fountain" and "Nightstand Lamp,” neither of which are mine or have ever been names used by me to name a Wemo device.

Furthermore, I have turned on Remote Access and within minutes or hours, Light Switches and Insights have randomly turned on or off and on one occasion, a connected Nest Thermostat (connected to the Wemo iPhone app) was changed to the maximum heat temperature in the middle of the night. That was the first time I knew that my data/information was compromised in some way.

I agree 100% with MikeP that this is a lawsuit just waiting to happen. My Wemo Makers are used to open a garage door and to turn on/off a gas fireplace… that alone should keep your legal department awake at night.

I have my own ideas as to what is going on in my case. I believe that I purchased at least 1 Wemo device that was sold as new but was previously used by someone. The MAC address or some other identification number for that device is associated with my Remote Access information as well as the previous owner.

I will email my information as suggested by Moderator Jo-Ann_B to the Belkin Support Team and hope that Belkin takes this bug/flaw serious.

Thank you

(see linked image below)

I have the same issue.  I have 4 WEMO light switches and 4 WEMO plugs yet there are over 60 devices in my divice list and , after discovering Devices in Alexa all 60+ devices are listed.  I use these device for security at my home and they are not working now.  I have spent hours on this an am very frustrated.

Hey, refloghctarcs. Were you able to try the basic workarounds, such as uninstalling and reinstalling the app? If so, does the issue still persist? How about on another handheld device? 

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support
Highlighted

THIS IS NOT A CLIENT-SIDE ISSUE

THIS IS A FUNDAMENTAL AND FATAL SECURITY FLAW WITH WEMO AND BELKIN’S CLOUD

YOU ARE EXPOSING PEOPLE TO LIFE-THREATENING DANGER

Have we made ourselves clear yet? Your product is literally going to blow up someone’s house or kill a family with carbon monoxide when a gas heater gets cranked to the max by someone poking at devices they don’t recognize and you’re sitting here faffing about telling them to reinstall the app.

This is not a “have you tried the basic workarounds” type of bug. This is a “have you called 911 yet” type of bug.