WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Use Automation manager to trigger Tasker

I have a Wemo Maker on my garage door and monitored by Automation Manager. I use it for two things:

- When the garage door has been left open for 5 minutes, it sends me a text message reminding me the door is open. This continues to work fine.

- When the door opens I have an AM rule to signal Tasker to announce the door opens. A similar rule annnounces when the door is closed. I do this by having two MPP devices defined, one for when the door opens and another for when the door is closed. I then copied the intent or UDN or something info and pasted that into the expected receive info in Tasker. This used to work but doesn't anymore and I'm having trouble getting it working again. Suggesstions? Is there a better / different way? 

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: Use Automation manager to trigger Tasker

There is a "sendTTS" rule action that might be easier than sending the broadcast event - cuts out the middle man.

First thing to check is the log in the log viewer (the "eye" menu item) to see if the rules are firing and the message is being sent by the AutomationServer vs being ignored by Tasker.

I hope I didn't break it but it's always possible...  easiest is to send me that log using the send button, mention the approx time in the email and I'll see if I can spot anything wrong, and/or duplicate it here to confirm whether it's working.

Log file sent.

Question: I have the devices set. What intent info value should I copy and paste in Tasker. Does it matter as long as I use the same one in Tasker?

WEMO Maker Inventor

Got it and replied, thanks!

In the AutomationManager server you can use "BroadcastIntent" to send an action message that can be received and acted on in Tasker.   The intent action would be set to the string that Tasker expects, and the rest of the values (like the device that's generating the intent) would be available as String extras in Tasker.

Or you can skip the rules part as AutomationServer will send out a TRIGGERED or UNTRIGGERED broadcast intent message that Tasker could use, like this: mpp.android.WemoManager.TRIGGERED.{deviceUDN}.  The intent action strings can be found/copied in the AutomationManager "Intents" menu for the Maker device and pasted directly into the Tasker intent receiver.

Or you can skip Tasker and just use the SendTTS (Text To Speech) action in the AutomationServer rules Smiley Happy.

Hi Mike,

I'm trying to send a broadcast intent to Tasker. It works, but not if I include 'extra' information. Looking at the Tasker instructions it says:

In addition, any extras attached to the intent can be accessed under their name

Maybe I'm meant to alter Tasker's intent scheme, to receive 'extra' data?

If any schemes are included in the filter, then an Intent's data must be either one of these schemes or a matching data type. If no schemes are included, then an Intent will match only if it includes no data.

Does this mean I have to add 'scheme' information to the tasker intent filter, if it is receiving 'extra' data? What do you recommend?

WEMO Maker Inventor

Hi Patrick - I'm not exactly sure I understand what you're trying to do so please clarify if I haven't answered.  AM composes the intents that are sent to Tasker and the appropriate extras are already part of the intents it sends.  The instructions on my HowTo section for Tasker is about sending intents from Tasker to AM, and AM does not use filters since the intents already match the schema AM expects and the source doesn't matter - it will accept AM intents from anywhere.

If you're using the BroadcastIntent action the same is true, the extras have already been attached to the intent.  You're not able to add your own extras (nor would I expect that you would need to do so).

Filters are usually used when receiving intents from multiple sources to get the OS to only pass the ones that you need; in the AM case it's easiest to process them all and ignore the ones you don't want.

As I imagine you've already determined, these are ordinary android intents - there's nothing special about AM intents other than the data included in the extras is specific to your devices.

Hi Mike,

Sorry - to clariy, I'm using AutomationManager for IoT. I'm trying to send an intent to Tasker. If I just send an intent without extras, it works. e.g.

tasker_my_intent_door_open

But if I send (I forget the default format, I'm away from my phone atm):

tasker_my_intent_&udm;

Then it doesn't work. I'm wondering why, and what I need to do in Tasker to allow this intent to be received.

Highlighted
WEMO Maker Inventor

Hi Patrick - how are you sending these intents, are you using the BroadcastIntent rule action?  Generally you shouldn't need to do this, AM sends intents for every state change.

That format is changing the intent action rather than adding information as an extra.  You'll need to have tasker listening for the exact action string that you're sending.

These are standard android intents, once you know what you're sending you can ask the Tasker community for help with receiving them.

BTW, you can contact me directly using the contact button on my website https://sites.google.com/site/mppsuite/ on the bottom left menu.