WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WEMO Light Switch-Unable to join network

Holding the reset button for over 30 seconds solved the problem of not being able to connect to the switch. (iPhone/iPad)

This reset >30 seconds worked for me.  4 hours of crazy reloads, Internet songs and router dances...  Just to hit the reset button.  Can't wait for a power surge or to load this on another smart phone.

I just purchased a new WeMo Switch, I followed the instruction but kept getting message Unable to join network "WeMo.Switch.XXX" I continued by restarting phone, redownloading software. tried multiple phone. Nothing seems to work. Chatted with support for an hour do all the same stuff over again plus, the reset. Hold the Restore button for 30+ seconds, continue holding button and unplug for 30+ seconds, continue holding button and plug power back in and hold button another 30 seconds. Did this many times to no avail. Tech finally gave up and said to return it so I went back to Walmart and exchanged it for another new one. ...... Which does exactly the same thing. I have reinstalled the software. Tried various networks. Three iPhones, one laptop, one iPad, and one Samsung Tablet. Nothing will connect to the Wemo so it can be set up.

Totally DONE with Belkin. We put a man on the Moon in ten years and Belkin has been having this problem for over two years and still hasn't gotten it figured out.

Adios Belkin!!!

Adios WeMo

Back to Walmart in the morning for a refund.

Very Frustating but I dug it out of the Trash and decided to try One More Time. ... I have an old First Alert wireless camera plugged in that I had been trying to get working. I thought to myself 'who knows maybe it could be causing interference' doublful but why not unplug it anyway. Voila!! my phone imediately connects to the WeMo Switch and I am off the to Races. It is now updateing firmware as I write.

Support and Tech ... Please make Note of what I have just discovered.!!!

Same issue. One of my 3 switches just started flashing amber. Had to reset it, but now it won't connect to my wifi during setup.

Hello, MazingM. Try to change the wireless channel of your router's 2.4GHz band. You can also try setting up the Wemo light switch on a different phone or tablet.

Kloe-21503
WEMO Technical Support

If you follow the regular instructions with one exception when you push the Wi-Fi but don’t hold for five seconds hold it until the light starts flashing blue. This works for sure. Just make sure you reset the factory settings. Good luck.

WeMo sucks.. you can’t connect the switch to WiFi. Buy another brand!!

Hi, Zubin8. Is this for initial set up? Did you encounter an error message? We suggest that you force close the app, uninstall/re-install it, then try to launch it again. This link will help you with the set up process.

Update us with the results. We hope that we can work with you so we can sort this out.

Dennis - 20702
WEMO Technical Support

Re: SOLVED??? WEMO Light Switch-Unable to join network

[ Edited ]

3I just went through about 4 frustrating hours of adding an additional Wemo light switch. 

I encountered a couple of problems and tried different things. As a result of one/some of them, it ended up working. 

I‘m posting this here so that it may be of help to others:

Problem:

Can’t connect to the switch when installing. 

Solution(?):

My guess is that the WiFi signal emitted by the device  isn’t too strong. 

You need to be pretty close to it so that you can join its network.

Problem:

Your WiFi network doesn’t show up in the app when it’s time to join it.

Solution (?):

I tried the following several things 

- change WiFi security from WPA personal to WPA/WPA2 personal

- my Apple airport router was set to country code Canada but when I scanned the network I saw that the Wemo device was set to country code United States. So, I changed the setting in the router to USA. 

-I had the WiFi channel set to automatic. I switched it to channel 1

Something listed above made the difference. 

I think part of it was starting the setup very close to the Wemo switch and then when it came time to connect to my WiFi network, move closer to the router and then moving closer to the switch to finish.

I hope this helps someone. 

I love the Wemo switches (when they work) but having installed 6 and having setup issues each time  can be very frustrating. 

John B in Montreal