WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WEMO WiFi Keeps Dropping Out Before Setup Complete?

@Mikey220 Check for wireless interference. Maybe there's an interfering wireless signal in the network. Adjust your wireless settings to channel 6, 11, or 1. Hope that helps.

Hi,

I have what looks like this exactl same problem and it isn't just going away. I have reset teh device at least 10 times. If I reset it and wait long enough I can get the Iphone to connect to it. Then I open teh WeMo app, that connects to the device, finds my home network, I press proceed and then it says it is working, then still working, then it loses teh connection to the switch and I have to start again. The really frustrating thing is that i dont actually want to use it with iPhone at all. I want to drive it exclusively with IFFTT via SMS. Why cant i just set it up with a computer? I thought the pruchase price was high but fair. I didn't count on most of a day wasted to not suceed in setting it up.

It is a product limitation to set the WEMO device on a computer. Have you tried the suggestions posted by Robert? Maybe those would help so you can set them up properly.

If you have another iOS or Android device, using it would be helpful to isolate this challenge. You may also contact the support team. I believe you can reach them 24/7.

I assume you have already reloaded the app.   Have you tried turning off your cell and only setup with Wifi on?

brendan wrote:

Hi,

I have what looks like this exactl same problem and it isn't just going away. I have reset teh device at least 10 times. If I reset it and wait long enough I can get the Iphone to connect to it. Then I open teh WeMo app, that connects to the device, finds my home network, I press proceed and then it says it is working, then still working, then it loses teh connection to the switch and I have to start again. The really frustrating thing is that i dont actually want to use it with iPhone at all. I want to drive it exclusively with IFFTT via SMS. Why cant i just set it up with a computer? I thought the pruchase price was high but fair. I didn't count on most of a day wasted to not suceed in setting it up.

Just signed up to say GET RID OF CONNECTIONS OPTIMIZER on your phone by uninstalling updates. It will disappear. That did it for me.

[ Edited ]

Is your router a dual band, supporting both 2.4 and 5 GHz under the same SSID? The Wemo switch only works on 2.4GHz and may get confused with such routers during setup. Try The following — assumes your wifi network name is MyNetwork

In your router setup utility, find the option to change the 5GHz name to something else, for example MyNetwork5G. If you have an airport express or time capsule, it will be under Advanced -> Wi-Fi Settings -> 5GHz Name

Restart the Wemo setup from scratch, including resetting the Wemo device

Hopefully this time the setup steps all complete successfully

In your router setup, restore the 5GHz name so it has the same name as the 2.4GHz

I've done this 20 times now but I am still having teh same problems as everybody else.

WHAT IS THE SOLUTION!

Please...

No that didn't work for me.

Highlighted

[ Edited ]

Hi. Do you experience the dropping wireless connection with the WEMO devices only or are there other wireless devices that are also experiencing the same thing? Make sure that your mobile data is off when setting up the WEMO device. If the signal drops for all wireless devices in the network, try to adjust the router's wireless channel. Use fixed channels instead of Auto. For the 2.4 GHz band, use channel 6, 11, or 1, then reconnect the WEMO switch to the router's wireless network.

Zeb_10124
WEMO Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

You (belkin) would have more credibility if you instead said "Because of a known DEFECT in the wemo's we require that you use a fixed wifi channel".  It has NOTHING to do with WIFI interference, that's FUD you've introduced to distract us from the real problem.  Anyone who gives it any thought realizes that all OTHER devices can stay connected to the wifi network; it's only the wemos that have trouble.

This defect has been known to be in the wemo product for years.  Are you even certain it's still a problem?.  I wonder why you don't either fix it or update the requirements on the box to require a fixed wifi channel (esp since most routers are auto by default). When did you last test for the problem - did it still exist after you switched the wemo to using WRT based firmware?