WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WEMO WiFi Keeps Dropping Out Before Setup Complete?

I have the same problem using an IPhone.  Tried resetting several times - get as far as entering the new deivice name - WEMO app switches back to parent network and tries   . . .  and tries . . . 

This worked for my other three WEMO devices.  What changed?

This has not done the  "trick" for me on my IPHONE 5.  I have tried several times - sometimes with just rebooting the iphone (comes back to the WEMO...286 device, sometimes I have to reset and start from scratch by attaching the device to my router.

did this 6 times.  No luck.

How many times to I try it blindly before it works?

Hi, stuartbell. What's the model number of the Wemo device you are trying to set up? What's the model number of the Wemo devices that are working? When you say reset, do you mean power cycling or resetting to factory default settings? What's the version of the Wemo app?
Please try uninstalling and reinstalling the Wemo app. As a workaround, you can also try using another smartphone in setting up the Wemo device. Let us know how it goes.

Reil – 22071
Wemo Technical Support

Please help

I have the Wemo starter kit with the link and 2 bulbs.  The other day I came home and the bulbs hadn't turned on as they should per their afternoon rule.

I checked the app and they were greyed out.

I checked the link, no lights on, but it was reporting ok in the app.  So I tried resetting the lights.  Lights reset, but still not showing.

So I tried a factory restore on the F7C031uk link

This has resulted in it being stuck in setup mode.

It sits there mocking me, flashing green and orange.

The app now reports the link is not responding. 

The Wemo WiFi SSID appears and disappears constantly.

When it tries to connect it gets (authentication error has occurred"

I have restarted phone and router

I have turned off (as far as I can tell) any WiFi boosting or switching options on my Android 8 Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

I have "forgotten" all existing networks in my phone,

I have configured the router to a fixed WiFi channel (11)

I've held the reboot button on the link

- until the lights change

- to a count of 15

- to a count of 5 elephants (seconds)

I've even left it overnight

My phone simply is refusing to connect to the link.  I can't even get as far as opening the app to set up the bulbs.

Hi, escribblings. To verify, have you tried using another handheld device? If not, you may give it a try so we can isolate the case. Also, you may try setting up the Wemo Link near the router as well as your handheld device. Let's see if it'll make any difference. If this won't work, we'll have our Product Experts assist you further with this. Please email us at WemoCares@belkin.com the following details so we can create a case for you:

-Phone Number

-Link to this community thread

-User Name

-Wemo App Version

Fritz-21902
Wemo Technical Support

Well I've just had the call from WeMo tech support.

And - I'm on my own.

It's apparently a hardware issue, and I'm A) out of warranty and B) the device is no longer manufactured.

Although, it took quite a bit to get her to understand that the issue was that I couldn't connect my phone to the link (she was trying to tell me the bulbs were faulty)

Well, the bulbs may or may not be at fault - but until I can get a device to connect to Wemo.Link.1b1 - I can't then reconnect the Link to my home network to try to re-add the bulbs.

So it looks like it's time to ditch this useless brick and find something else = I've wasted enough time on it already.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Belkin's abandonware policy is completely unethical given there's still bugs in the link firmware.   They should have given us all refunds since they could never get the thing to work properly.

The old sylvania lightify gateway will work with the wemo bulbs, sometimes it's deeply discounted enough to make it worth saving them.  Barely...

Is the problem that your phone won't connect to the link, or that the link won't connect to your wifi?

For the link, try holding the button while plugging in the link and keeping it held for 5s more.  Then let it go and wait 5-10 minutes for it's SSID to show.  Try the setup using your phone (if connects ok to the link's SSID) and carefully enter your password for the SSID (ideally with no special characters).  Ignore the results from the app, just watch the link's LED and ideally check your router logs.  If the LED stops flashing after a few minutes (5 or so) then restart the app with the phone connected to your 2.4GHz SSID to see if it finds the link.

If it won't connect you might try turning off any optimization settings on your router to see if that'll help (you shouldn't need to reset the link when you do, just power cycle it and wait a few minutes each attempt).

Mike
Reliable and secure (Belkin cloud-free) home automation and remote access:
AutomationManager/HomeBridge/WemoLEDs/WemoHome/MoreInfo

Thanks MikeP, I'll look into the lightify - but I think I'm more likely to migrate to the Philips Hue at the moment (unless you can suggest anything else?

Firstly the WeMo Link

I've tried holding the button in for 5, 10, 15 or more seconds when plugging in - I've also tried holding the button down without unplugging.

I've left it hours/overnight between being unplugged and plugged in.

I've left it for ages once it's fired up, but it just sits there mocking me flashing green and orange.

The Wemo.Link.1b1 SSID appears on my phone - although it does drop occasionally.

Phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge using Android 8

I've told my phone to forget all other networks, turned off smart WiFi switching and download booster, and also turned off the WiFi and Bluetooth scanning for location accuracy, and restarted it.

But it just says connecting - blank - connecting - blank ... authentication error

On an older phone (Samsung Galaxy S5 mini running Android 5) it just says Connecting - Saved

I can't even get as far as opening the app as it refuses to connect to a phone in the first place.

-----

On to alternatives

If you hadn't guessed, I'm in the UK.

I have looked at several options, including - 

• Philips Hue
  • Lifx
  • Ikea Trådfri
  • TP-Link / Kasa
  • Osram Lightify
  • Innr
  • Hive
  • Eufy

My requirements are

• B22 Bayonet Cap
  • White light (as bright as possible)
  • Programmable timers
  • Dimmable is a bonus (although I have no actual dimmer switches)

The Philips Hue is my preferred option so far.  As a bonus, there are extra switches that do not require a mobile phone app (I don't want a Google/Amazon voice activated hub thing).

What puts me off the Lifx is that the Mini White is not programmable, the Mini Day and Dusk is only slightly programmable and only the Mini Colour is fully programmable.  The larger A60 are fully programmable, but I could pick up a bridge and 2 hues for **bleep** near the same price as 1 A60.

Ikea are out as they only do E27 fittings.  And the bulbs are big enough without adding adapters.

TP-Link / Kasa I'm unsure about

Osram Lightify - this seems to be the Sylvania you mention upon investigation, and also seems difficult to track down, with average reviews (is this just a rebranded Link?)

Innr bulbs might be okay to expand a Hue network, but the Innr bridge is more expensive, and gets poor reviewws from what I can see.

Hive - I don't have any other Hive products, and would ideally need the Hub, which again, is more expensive than the Hue

Eufy - Cheap, and doesn't appear to need a hub (unless you want voice control, which I don't), but it's E27 only Smiley Sad

Well would you believe it...

It must have heard me taking about replacing it, because all of a sudden it's worked.

And not only that, it's remembered all my settings and rules despite being "factory reset" God knows how navy times!

I've just taken a risk and unplugged it and moved out to it's final location.

It's still working Smiley Surprised

Although, I may still consider moving the bulbs to a coyote of other lamps, and replacing these mission critical bulbs (I use them as part of my alarm system to wake up) with something less flaky.