WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WEMO light switch cannot be controlled with 2 phones

I installed the WEMO light switch as instructed. It appeared to set up properly (was found) on our network.  We also have 2 WEMO mini plugs on our network.  All 3 devices show in the app which is installed on 2 phones and 2 tablets. 

The wall switch does not function as i would expect.

If i turn it on using the wall switch, I cannot turn it off via the app (on any device) - in the app the switch greys out as if it is not connected.

If I turn on the light via the app on one device, I cannot turn it off via the app on a different device - again the switch greys out in the app on the second device.

The mini plugs function exactly how I expect - regardless if they are on or off from my scheduled program, any of the 4 devices or the button on the plug itself, all 4 devices (2 phones/2 tablets) always reflect current status and can control the plug.

Re: WEMO light switch cannot be controlled with 2 phones

Hi, clifford3! This seems odd, let's sort this one out. Make sure that your Light Switch is running the latest firmware. Also, was it working fine before, or just recently? If yes, we'd recommend to perform a hard reset (http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=8183) and re-associate the unit on the app by following the steps found in this link: http://www.belkin.com/us/support-article?articleNum=8185

Keep us posted if the issue still recurs.

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support

I am Having the sme issue. Operating an android and an apple iPhone. If the switch is put on.manually it is not recognized as being on in the app and vice versa. If I turn the light off manually it still shows as on in the app. If i try to operate the app when the light and app are not in sync the app loses connection with the switch and i have to search or refresh the app. Shutting down and reopening the app makes no difference. The only time it starts to work is if I put the light and app setting in sync via the light switch manually. Also phone to phone operation does not update the app setting on each phone..... same issue or outcome

This was an issue with only one phone connected. Switch nd app would not sync if light switch was operated manually

Update. The above is the case when on Wi-Fi. When on data. The app does not update BUT when used to operate the switch after touching the app it will search then show correct setting without losing connection to switch. Once it shows the correct setting it will then operate as expected. Or until the switch is used manually again.
Operating android 8.1

We'll check on this, Hohead. Was this working fine before or did this happen just recently? Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the WEMO App, then check again if you can update the firmware? Also, make sure that your WEMO App is updated. If the workarounds do not work, try to reset and re-configure the Light Switch. Please update us of the results.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

Thanks for the reply
This is my first wemo product and was recently installed. So has been lime this since installation.
Prior to this message I had tried all the following.
Uninstalled and reinstalled the Wemo app to no avail.
Wemo app seems to be up to date as per the app store.
Rest and reconfigured the light switch to no avail.
As for the firmware. Are you making reference to the Wemo switch and if so how do I check this and update it

Here is the firmware I have. I am unable to update this as the option is not offers
WeMo_WW_2.00.10966.PVT-OWRT-LS
Version v1
Serial number 221735K130074F
Current status shows on line but is still not able to operate if a manual operation of the light takes place

@Hohead,

Make sure that you are connected to the same local network with your WEMO Light Switch and with your smartphone. Also, please check if the remote access is enabled. If it is, try to disable and re-enable it. If it still the issue still persists, please send us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com along with your community username and the link to this post for reference and we can have our Support Team check on your case for further diagnosis.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support