WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WEMO not working with multiple access points

Hi!

The WEMO app is buggy when one have more than one access point on ones network.

I currently use the 192.168.1.x-subnet for all my devices, and have 2 accesspoints with the same SSID and password.

If my device from which I access the WEMO devices are on say access point 1, but the WEMO devices happen to be hooked to access point 2 currently (this changes dynamically during the day), I am unable to see/control my WEMO devices.

So most of the time, I am only able to see/control some of the devices in my list, which ones is random.

Is Belkin working on a fix for this? It is very annoying, and makes the devices useless!

Re: WEMO not working with multiple access points

I believe Belkin is already aware of this case. WeMo was built for the usual singular access point network but may work with multiple access points provided that all APs are within the same IP range/subnet. What's the make and model number of your AP devices? Try using different handheld devices just to make sure that it's not working in your type of network.

Yes this is a known issue. Since AT LEAST Oct of last year actualy.  Dealing with tech support for over 2 months and they still can't fully reporduce the problem and now think it is mainly an issue with Apple Routers but offer no solutions.

This issue is taking far too long to resolve. Incredibly unimpressed with the product and Belkin.

Yes, it is somehow affecting Apple routers in particular. But the symptoms are sometimes random. There are times that it works and some other times it does not. There are even times where it affects some phones while other phones are okay. This type of cases needs proper isolation since it can be tricky. It may be the reason why I'm still waiting for the firmware fix. 

WEMO Maker Inventor

If the problem is local access I've solved it in WemoHome/WemoManager, my paid apps on Google Play offered as alternatives to Belkin's app.  Android only but there's a free java version that will run on a PC.

The Wemo's need to find each other for the motion rules to work, you may need to force them to be on the same part of your network (or use WemoManager with it's rules engine).

Whatever the reason is there is no justifiable excuse that Belkin has known about this issue for at least 9 months and done nothing to resolve it.

I recently purchased a d-Link Wireless camera. I contacted the support team reporting 4 bugs effecting the camera on Mac's. Within 1 day support contacted the hardware/software departement and created a new firmware for me to test. 2 days after that they had resolved all but 1 bug and released an even knewer firmware to the public. This is customer support, not this contstant back and forth repeating the same issues over and over again from multiple sources with no solution what so ever. 

WEMO Maker Inventor

Amen. Any any advice that involves uninstalling and re-installing an app (let alone asking you to force-stop it) says something too...

Just an update.

After dealing with tech support closely by phone and email for 75 days this is the result.

1) They have no idenified or re-produced the issue whatsoever.

2) they have STILL not tested all apple routers. Personally I would be able to test every model Apple ever made in a day.

Impressive.

I still don't understand why this issue is affecting you. I have three APs on my network, all on 192.168.1.x, all same SSID and password. Two are Tenda 1800Rs, one is a Zyxel NWA1121-NI. I have never had a problem accessing a Wemo on the Zyxel when the phone is on a Tenda. In fact, even if I put the phone on a Tenda on a different SSID on a different band (5GHz), it can still see the Wemo that's on the Zyxel on 2.4GHz on the original SSID. 

I'm not familiar with the configuration of Apple routers. Do you have more than one SSID on the routers, such as a separate SSID for guests?

RobbieH

Yes I have 1 SSID and 1 Password. Everything is set up right on my end and 40 other Wifi devices that are up to 10 years old all connect 100% fine for years.  WeMo is the only device that has issues.  Belkin has known for almost a year that there is a problem with Apple routers for some reason but still haven't figured out why.