WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WeMo High Channel Utilization

Hello, I seeking help in maintaining stability with my currently have 33 WeMos and I am planning on installing 72. I am currently using the WeMo app and experience this issue when I am running the app, or either on remote(which I have turned off now), or when the WeMos need to update. I have also placed most of my WeMos to a fixed IP address. I was wondering if these same issues occur with the home bride app before purchasing. Thank you.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: WeMo High Channel Utilization

That is a lot of wemos to keep stable and  I'm not convinced the belkin team tests with that many...  It's not a case of high utilization as there's not much data exchanged - it's the way the app is implemented that makes it struggle, not to mention the cloud interactions.

There's a few alternate apps that are generally considered more stable.  I think mine (AutomationManager) is pretty good and you can google for others.  AutomationManager manages over 100 devices just fine (maybe more but I don't have enough to try that myself), and you can add HomeBridge for AutomationManager to bridge them all to homekit - you'll need something other than the belkin bridge if you have any Wemo LEDs.  You'd need a low end android device ($20-$30 from bestbuy), AutomationManager runs on it acting as the bridge/hub.

This is likely because UPNP standard (what some iot things uses) has scale issues. Add more UPNP device and network activity  grow at fast rate. UPNP Amplification

WEMO Maker Inventor

Sorry, what's unlikely?

UPNP is quite chatty but it's not an overwhelming load on a multi-megabit network even with many devices.  I haven't seen any ill effects in my network.  Maybe it's an issue with 1000's, I don't know of anyone who's tried that at home...

UPNP amplification is a DDoS attack - most router firewalls are pre-configured to prevent any incoming requests including SSDP so it's not really applicable here.  Exposing any IoT device directly to the internet, upnp based or not, would be pretty foolish in any case.  Many routers will accept *internal* upnp requests - it's a good idea to disable that - not because of wemo but for better network security in general.  Doing so will not affect the wemos (and in may help the belkin app work better in some cases).

A more likely issue is that many older routers have a restriction on the number of clients they allow and will run out of resources.  Multiple routers with separate subnets will get around it but it will break belkin's app.

I will try the Automation Manager app and see If that helps with my issue. Do you have a source which explains the way the WeMo app works? This project requires me to provide information on why I am going with this approach. Thank you.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Unfortunately no useful source on belkin's app - I've figured it out from research, experience, and some reverse engineering.  Belkin dropped their SDK and pointed developers to UPNP/SSDP/WebServices. Best if they answer themselves...

If you need a report because it's a commercial environment you're going to need a very secure wifi network - anyone that joins for even a short time will have the ability to turn on remote access and control the wemos from anywhere.  With AutomationManager you would be able to bridge the wemos through a web page to which access can be granted and removed  using google authentication without needing to give anyone access to the wifi network where the wemos are running.