WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WeMo Set Up Problems - can't connect to WiFi

Hey look, exact same problem. Should have came here first, this thread is 5 years old with 24 pages. That says a TON about your equipment.  Ever consider the product is just junk?  Looks like I’m swinging by Home Depot to leave this in the bin for the next poor sap. 

The Mini Smart Plug I purchased Nov 2018 took about 1 minute to set up.   This was my sixth Wemo plug:  3 Mini Smart Plugs, 2 Switch Smart Plugs, 1 Light Switch.

In the past, some of my Wemo plugs took several boots to finally connect to the wifi router.  Since the setup involves a cell phone, wifi, and the plug all getting in sync (and the possibility of a defective Wemo plug), the setup can be frustrating.   (note:  I've never had a defective plug)   

I own smart plugs from 2 other manufacturers and found the Wemo plugs best. 

This technolgy in general is pretty new and set up requires some techical ability (and patience).  Most common issue seems to be people trying to setup with 5GHz.  If you do not understand what this means, ask someone for help.

For people still having a lot of issues with setup, I suggest purchasing devices that require the additional purchase of a hub that connects the smart devices.  Once you get this hub connected to the wifi, adding devices from that hub's manufacturer should be easy.

Wemo does not require the purchase of an extra hub, saving you $50 to $100.

Same problem. Anyone get help? 

Highlighted

Hello there, xpflyr. Is this for initial setup? If so, what's the LED light status of your Wemo device? Did you receive an error message while connecting it to the network? For further isolation, let's try to move the Wemo device closer to the router, and force close the app. Make sure that you are connected to the setup SSID of the Wemo device first before launching the app. Hope this helps. 

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support

On what screen is the WiOn app supposed to recognize my router? It just sits there and I can only control it when I connect to the ECO-XXXXXX network. Not a good first impression here on how difficult it is to get this setup. 

WEMO Maker Inventor

You're on the wrong product board.  WiOn/Eco devices are IoT cloud products from a company in China.   They, like many of the low end China sourced IoT devices, are very high risk to use inside your home network.  These apparently send your SSID and password back to servers in China with every action.  And, like all IoT devices, they can be used from there as a bridge into your private network.  Worse, on older routers they can use UPNP to open ports to any remote hackers (as recently disclosed by Cisco).

Once you get them working you may want to find an alternate app to control them locally and block them from reaching the internet.  At the very least use them only on a guest network that you block from reaching your main network, and make certain UPNP is disabled on your router.

Yeh, I totally got this product confused with Wemo (which I currently have three MINI Plugs of and love)

I DID NOT read for content here. Sorry. 

Does Wemo make an outdoor product?

Hi Dukefrukem,

Our Wemo products were designed for residential, indoor and dry location only. We do not have any Wemo products for outdoor use.

Reynaldo - 22029
Wemo Technical Support

bought two miniplugs , one connected to my network after 10 minutes. The second one, no luck at all. reset many times, removed WPA and more...tried everything. i mean everything. Extremely dissapointed with a product that should work simply without a hitch. using IPad pro and Iphone 6s.  Using a NETGEAR - 24 x 8 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem, Ubiquity gateway usg router, Ubiquity, ethernet switch, Ubiquiti - UniFi® AC Pro Access Point

@wemark

Allow us to look into this. Did you make sure that you're connected to the 2.4 GHz network? Try to check that the 2 WEMO Minis are getting enough signal from the router. Also, what OS version is your iPhone 6s or iPad Pro currently running on? 

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support