WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WeMo Set Up Problems - can't connect to WiFi

You said to "avoid using special characters on the WiFi Credentials"

Really?

This is a PROBLEM.

I have 10 devices attached to my Wifi, all using the special chararacters.

Gosund devices support it.....Wyze also.

This is an NON-starter for me and I will have to return the Wemo devices for this feature!

Is there a Firmware fix to support special characters.....which is a standard op for most

wifi devices?

Thanks.

Carl

@carlm

Apologies for the oversight! Special characters on both the SSID or password is already supported by the Wemo device. Just make sure that all devices are equipped with the latest firmware and install the latest Wemo App version. Also, we have replied to your other post with regards to this matter. Here's the link: http://community.wemo.com/t5/WEMO-Hardware/unable-to-enter-wifi-password-with-special-character/m-p/...

Carl_S 21985
WEMO Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

@carl_s wrote:

Just make sure that all devices are equipped with the latest firmware and install the latest Wemo App version. Also, we have replied to your other post with regards to this matter. Here's the link: http://community.wemo.com/t5/WEMO-Hardware/unable-to-enter-wifi-password-with-special-character/m-p/...

Except here and in that link you've missed one of the use cases:  many wemo devices ship with OLD firmware that won't accept the special characters.  These can't be connected to wifi to do a firmware update, a catch 22 if the wifi password has special characters.

You'll need to provide some very detailed instructions about how to reconfigure the router and a phone to get get the wemo connected, update it's firmware, reset and then reconfigure everything back to the original password (so all of the user's other device can connect).  Including a warning against using a guest network/different SSID as that will cause multiple cloud accounts to be created.  Which I why I'd recommend for folks that aren't technical: if the wemo won't connect to your wifi router right away, send it back.

Mike
Reliable and secure (Belkin cloud-free) home automation and remote access:
AutomationManager/HomeBridge/WemoLEDs/WemoHome/MoreInfo

I also am having same issue with not being able to connect thru a Samsung Galaxy S9+. I have to get a friend with an IPHONE to connect my plugs.

Followed steps...slowly...6-8 times to no avail. Reinstalled app, reset outlet each time. I'm connected to my 2.4G side of dual Netgear router. Outlet keeps saying I'm connected to another network and won't connect to Wemo device. HELP PLEASE!
Highlighted

@frustratedinIL wrote:
Followed steps...slowly...6-8 times to no avail. Reinstalled app, reset outlet each time. I'm connected to my 2.4G side of dual Netgear router. Outlet keeps saying I'm connected to another network and won't connect to Wemo device. HELP PLEASE!

We'd be grateful to assist you on this matter, frustratedinIL. Is this for initial setup? Are you getting an error message? Also, we'd like to verify the LED light status of the Wemo device. Please make sure to connect to the setup SSID of the Wemo device first and launch the app then connect to your wireless network. 

You may also try using a different handheld device for further isolation. Make sure that the app is running on its latest version.

Nestor - 21974
WEMO Technical Support