WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WeMo Set Up Problems - can't connect to WiFi

There is no procedure.  Money down the drain. 

I had 2 older Wemo switches and 4 new ones.  We had a power failure and I had to reset them.  The 4 new ones reset themselves by just unplugging and plugging them back in.  But could not get the 2 older ones to connect even with pushing the restore button.  I was using my new iphone 6S Plus to try to make the connection.  No luck.  Then I tried to do it with my old ipad.  It connected the first time.  And the connection also showed up on my new iphone.  We also found that we had to use our "slow" internet connection on the old plugs.  The faster one would not work.  So, my advice is to try using another device to connect to the internet.

These units are  really unreliable. The application just sucks.  I wonder why Belikin is selling so many.

I am waiting for some China clones (Wiwo)  to see if they are any better.

Expert

Hi, leopardus2. We regret to hear your experience with Wemo products. Is there anything we can help for now? We'll be glad to assist you. 

Rique - 22312
Wemo Technical Support
WEMO Maker Inventor

leopardus2 wrote:

These units are  really unreliable. The application just sucks.  I wonder why Belikin is selling so many.

I am waiting for some China clones (Wiwo)  to see if they are any better.

Be really careful using those devices with their default firmware.  They connect back to "cloud" servers in China that doesn't have privacy protection laws like in NA and Europe.  Given the latest worldwide hack using IoT devices it'd be a good idea to lock down your wifi network very tightly.  If you get serious about protecting yourself AutomationManager does support those devices - you can completely block them from reaching the internet while still allowing local and remote control.

Having similar problem.  I called customer support this evening and at 18 minutes on hold I'm giving up and taking this terrible piece of junk back to the store.  Too bad too I was hoping this would work smoothly.  Even if tech support solves this problem there are other products out there that are wireless and connect without problems. 

Expert

Hi, Jstuart. Thank you for reaching out to us. We're sorry to hear your experience, if you'll give us a chance, we'll be happy to assist you further. Just provide us your case number for reference. 

Rique - 22312
Wemo Technical Support

I can no longer get the WeMo link to pair, I have reset this thing about 20 times, tried 2 different routers open and WPA 2 and all it says is it cannot connect to the network. WeMo baby monitor i mistakenly decided to pick up does this same thing. The Wemo Link all it does is flash amber and green which means it is reset. I connect to the WiFi network it provides select my network and it fails. I have spent over 2 days messing with this. You need to pull this product or fix it this is insane. 

I have the same problem. This always happens when incompetant developers rush a product to market. This is a useless addition to any wall outlet.

Of course, it is probably the users fault.

Hopefully this scam ends with a class action lawsuit. What a disgustingly useless poorly implemented paperwieght.

I spent 20 years in the Army working on computer systems and I can't fix this thing.

KGM

[ Edited ]

I have 12 Wemo devices that have worked fine for over a year..

Yesterday 8 switches were tagged as "not detected", the 4 light switches were fine.

The rules associated with the undetected devices still worked.. and I could manually control them.  Cannot control via the app or Amazon Echo

I emailed and was told to reset/reinstall.  I did one, and reconnected it to the network, it no longer even appeared in the list of devices.

Uninstalling the app from all mobile devices and reinstalling it on just one, removed all the undetected devices.

I recently upgraded to an iPhone7 and so I wondered if there was a conflict there?

Interestingly, there have been 3 firmware updates this morning, and now the devices are once again in the app.. but most are listed as undetected AND now the light switches have joined the list of undetected! But they still can not be remotely controlled.

Now support says to randomly reset/reinstall the other devices.. (and since they are undetected, it would be a manual procedure.) I am hestitant to do that, since they are following the established rules. 

It seems very strange that yesterday 8 devices were undetected at the same time..but the light switches were fine.

I think they have a communication issue with the APP and possibily IOS.    

Being that there were 3 updates this morning, and the devices reappeared in the list, is it possible they are attempting to fix the issue?